Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Layed down some welds tonight -update at bottom

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jjlaughner, Jul 11, 2003.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[​IMG]

HAHAHA /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    You can see the with and without argon. I'm still having some problems I'm trying to solve.

[​IMG]

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Re: Layed down some welds tonight

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Crank the heat up !

and lay off the coffee. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    Crank the heat up !

and lay off the coffee. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Heat is on 4 (highest) and the wire speed was a 5-6 (a little more than half speed). I think my argon tank is getting low. I have a 4MB video of me welding but I can't get it to upload to my sever (damnd dialup)

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Set the flow meter to 30 CFH and forget it. As long as you don't have bubbles or holes in your weld it's fine. Aside from that it doesn't really affect the way it runs.

Run a straight bead about 2" long set the way it is.
    Now change the wire speed setting and repeat until you get what you like...

It takes a fair bit of practice and all the little things make the most difference.

Rene

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Set the flow meter to 30 CFH and forget it. As long as you don't have bubbles or holes in your weld it's fine. Aside from that it doesn't really affect the way it runs.

Run a straight bead about 2" long set the way it is.
    Now change the wire speed setting and repeat until you get what you like...

It takes a fair bit of practice and all the little things make the most difference.

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

The LORD hath spoken.......now go forth and sin no more!

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

7. jjlaughner

Well my main problem is that its over heating or something
    As I'm welding, it sputters and won't burn in, then the welder kicks out and goes into over heat mode where it stops welding and the fans kick on high /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    I usually have to pull the wire off or cut it. Very frustrating when your trying to get something done!

*EDIT* Added 3.59MB Quicktime video of the problem
    weldingvideo.MOV

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

You say with and without argon. So let me ask you what welder are you running? It's kinda hard to tell in the pic. 110 or 220? From the video, it would seem that the heat is too high and wire speed is too low. What wire speed are you running in relation to heat? Also if you're running flux core without argon, you do know that you have to reverse the polarity of your connections right? Not reversing them creates a weld pretty similar to what you have in the first pic. Just my .02

Bryan

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Is the 120 volt written on the front mean its 120?

10. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    Is the 120 volt written on the front mean its 120?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, restrictions of an old garage (120 only)! We have a couple 220v welders (stick) that have been sitting here for years but we can't use them in this garage /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

11. jjlaughner

Heat is on 4 (highest) to get it to burn in and the wire speed I usually jump back and forth between 5-6 (out of 10). The connections have been fixed/swapped for non-flux wire and argon.
    Welder is:
    Century wire feed, 85 amp dual purpose 120v
    Argon is 25/75% mix usually set at about 25cfh (and drops to 20 after the trigger pull)

[​IMG]

12. tRustyK5

Turn the wire way down to 2 or 3 and try again. That thing is just throwing bits of wire everywhere. An 85 amp machine doesn't have the jam to run a ton of wire.

To set the flow meter pull the trigger to let the wire run (not welding) and turn the adjuster until it reads 25 while flowing. That should be minimum.

Technique...you got two hands so use both. Once the helmet is down you don't need to hold it down.../forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif You do need to steady the trigger hand though (unless you are blessed with incredibly steady hands)

Lean in a bit further and make sure you're not grounding out the contact tip to the material. That is what it looked like you did at the end of the vid. Once you fizuck the tip like that it usually will run like crap too. Try turning the wire down and use a new tip.

The tip should not stick out past the nozzle.

From the end of the tip to the weld puddle should be around 3/8". This is referred to as "Stick-out". Too much stick out and you'll get bubbles (porosity). Not enough and you'll ground out the tip in the puddle.

Lastly what size wire are you running? For an 85 amp machine I wouldn't run any more than .023 for microwire and .030 for the flux core.

Rene

13. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Well my main problem is that its over heating or something
    As I'm welding, it sputters and won't burn in, then the welder kicks out and goes into over heat mode where it stops welding and the fans kick on high /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    I usually have to pull the wire off or cut it. Very frustrating when your trying to get something done!

*EDIT* Added 3.59MB Quicktime video of the problem
    weldingvideo.MOV

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with Rene that you should change your tip, clean out the nozzle, and turn the juice way down. You are way too hot.. what size wire are you running? You may have too much juice for the wire that you are running.

It should sound like sizzling bacon, no sputtering or popping. If you have that (which you did in the video) then the settings are way out of whack.

Also I noticed on the first pictures that the steel is dirty. When you are welding with GMAW (Gas Metal Arc Welding) or aka MIG, then you need to have clean steel. Take a wire wheel to that thing.

Also, check your ground. Are you grounding directly to the work, or on a table?

Verify you are welding at the right polarity. The direction of the current should be going from the work to the contact tip in MIG mode.

14. jjlaughner

Re: Layed down some welds tonight -added video

Cool, I'll try that stuff tomorrow night after I get back in. I'm using .30 wire, non-flux, I think the welder is setup for non-flux wire, I'll double check. I'll also try turning everything down and the argon up, seems like it would not burn in in the past, just beaded on the surface.
    I ground to what I'm welding, I dont usually touch the nozzle to the welding surface but I did in the video.

Everything is original on the welder (tip wise) except the argon and the .30 wire
    I'll update in 24!

15. jjlaughner

Alright, the wire is .035, I cleaned the tip out real good, cranked up the argon to 30 (27 while welding). AND WOW, what a difference! I drop the temp back to 3 and I had to run wire speed at 5.5 to keep it flowing. Layed out some smooth welds and no kickouts on the temp sensor! Welded 8th inch fairly well. I cranked it up to 4 and welded a nut to 2x2x.125 tube and it looked pretty good (planningon welding spacers to brake brackets for the 14bolt). Here's some more pics, Thanks again to everyone that posted up! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    That thing next to the new CK5 is a THUMB's up - OK I'm not artist
    [​IMG]
    under lid of welder -big pic

welderwirelabel -big pic

front of welder -large pic

[​IMG]

16. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Congrats, Thats looks much better. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. tRustyK5

I'd still recomend smaller diameter wire. The recomendations on the inside are for flux cored wire, which has a flux core obviously...much less filler material.

The welding does look much better though...good job!/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

18. jjlaughner

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Thanks, bad thing about the wire is that Pop's just bought a 10 lb spool, instead of the 2 lb'rs we normally use. So I will have to inprovise for the time being, get use to patterns and get some practice time in on this spool. Then I'll get a couple new rolls.
    Seems like I had problems with flux before, maybe I'll try the new settings.

Benifits of CK5?
    CK5 saved me $1800 of welding classes /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

19. tRustyK5

Just keep the wire speed down and you should be OK with the .035 for now. .035 at setting 3 will deposit as much material as .023 at setting 5...make sense?

I find with the little machines (I have an 85 amp MIG too) that less is more when it comes to wire speed. It burns in better and looks nicer even if it does take longer. They just don't have the cojones to burn tons of wire...

Keep turning it down until it runs stupid, then slowly turn it back up until you like the way it runs.

Rene