Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lazy Man Paint Job

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chalet2506, Jun 22, 2006.

1. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Need some help. I'm fixin to repaint my huntin wagon - 76' Chalet - and ordered in a gallon each of od green and flat black from Rapco Parts. I've got no experience. Anyway, I'm going to clean well with mineral spirits, then scuff it up with some 120 grit. I pick up a lot of brush scratches when I'm out and about, so I ordered a couple of spray cans each of the same color so I can touch it up as needed. Do I need to prime and can I use the same primer on the metal and fiberglass? Also, gonna go with od green truck, black camper with a green top on it. I'd welcome any opinions on that also.

5-25-2006-05.jpg

5-25-2006-3.jpg

2. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

This doesn't address your question, but I salute the Chalet concept. :waytogo: If they'd built the K5 as a 3/4-ton (or better yet a 1-ton) truck, the factory K5 camper models might have been in the showrooms a few more years.

I like the camo idea, being nicely in theme with a hunting rig.

3. chalet2506

The truck drives like a hobbled water buffalo.It definetely needs heavier springs. I'm probably going to put new ones on next year after I finish all this cosmetic stuff. It still had the original shocks on it when I bought it. I replace them with Napa Heavy Duty ones on the front and some Monroe Air Shocks on the rear. That helped a lot.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Wow...not that I'm a purist or anything but the Chalet was a pretty rare truck. There are registries and everything. The exterior of your Chalet looks very good and original, in my opinion it'd be a shame to throw OD green and flat black on that and use it for a hunting rig.

Rene

5. chalet2506

Rare, but not much collector value. The interior of the camper was pretty much shot, which is what got me started. I gutted it completely and am building new cabinets and seats and new upholstery. Also redid the roof of the shell. The outside needs some repair, and if I leave it original, it's not going to match what I'm doing on the inside. Besides, Its going to be one smokin wagon when I'm done.

6. chalet2506

for example.

5-25-2006-03.jpg

5-25-2006-02.jpg

7. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dark colors soak up a lot of heat!!! That's why most campers, motor homes and boats are white. Just my $.02!

8. chalet2506

thought of that - designed a cabinet to to house a 5500 BTU AC. Got a A/C current system and a 3500 watt generator. Any color I paint it is going to be dark, I don't figure the difference in heat absorption will be that much. Anyway, anybody know anything about priming fiberglass and painted sheet metal?

9. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Preparation, really is determined by the desired end result. I noticed there is some rust on the bottom of the doors, and maybe lower rear fenders? Do you plan on fixing these problems or just putting on a fresh color coat?
    Do you want a decent daily driver paint job, or a trail paint job, rock crawler paint job? etc. etc. The more you can tell us the more we can help.

10. chalet2506

I've sanded and rustkilled most of the problem areas. This is my weekend get out of town rig. I'm really not going to be too picky about it.

11. dontoe

The Brits have always used kool camo patterns....
    [​IMG]

12. 89K5guy

89K5guy 1/2 ton status

I just wanna say I love those Chalets:bow: My wife isn't into the 4x4 thing like me but not long ago I showed her a pic of a Chalet on ebay motors and she was actually very impressed and thought that they were a great all around vehicle.Good luck with it:D I am sooooo jealous!

13. chalet2506

My wife definetely isn't impressed with it. I'm thinking that once I get it put back together and cleaned, she'll warm up to it. It really doesn't matter, if she's going with me I take the travel trailer. The kids dig my Chalet and it's for our weekend trips. That British Camo is alright, is that inspiration for your paint job?

14. dontoe

Naw, I remembered seeing it and looked it up fer ya, since you had black and green paint. I have a Khaki '75 and a Green '73.

15. broke73

broke73 1/2 ton status

I would use 350 or 220 grit paper you just want to scuff it up not take all the paint off. Don't sand to hard on the glass just scuff cause you don't want to get into the gel coat. With those dark flat colors you probably don't even need to prime anything but the bare metal spots where the rust was. Make sure to throughly clean it with mineral spirits or the degreaser they sell at auto body supply stores after sanding. Tape it off and have at it!!! :D

16. blackblazer717

blackblazer717 1/2 ton status

i think it will look pritty cool
    if you striped it like the blrit army trucks!!!!!!
    LUKE

17. chalet2506

Here's the plan - prime the bare metal, 320 grit sand the whole thing, clean it, paint the whole thing black, then pattern in the green. Thanks for the help, I'll post some pics in about a month when it's done. BTW, this went from a 2 week trip into my warehouse for a little maintenance to a 3 month full blown remodel. I got a feelin this isn't going to be anywhere near the end of it either.

18. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

It's good to throw a piss coat of zinc chromate on bare steel before primer... Cheap insurance for good adhesion and corrosion protection...

19. chalet2506

Paint pics - will post more after it's done.

P1010001.JPG

P1010004.JPG

P1010006.JPG

20. chalet2506

:wink1: Still feeling a little goofy from all that paint. Those cheap respirator masks don't work very well.

P1010005.JPG

P1010009.JPG

P1010010.JPG