Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

LDS folks: would you marry a Gentile? / do you know anyone who has?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dremu, Jan 21, 2006.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Yeah, I know we're not supposed to talk religion, but this one is an odd case. We don't need to discuss the tenets of the faith or its relative worth versus any other faith.

What I *am* interested in is the faith's tolerance for 'outsiders', if you will, in the family / church / social circles.

See, there's this very nice lady ... but she's LDS, and I'm, if anything, a Quaker. ("RSF", thankyouverymuch: Religious Society of Friends.) She swears up and down that her family would welcome me more or less with open arms and not try and bring me into the faith.

I fear, however, feeling the odd one out at family gatherings, social gettogethers and whathaveyou. Obviously I don't expect that they'd make me wear a yellow armband or anything, but somehow I still think I'd stick out.

So, those of you who are LDS... did you marry outside of the faith, any of your friends or family do so, and how did that go?

Thanks!

-- A

2. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

There are a few things to keep in mind when dealing with Mormons. First, on the positive side, they are extremely family oriented and take very good care of their own. They are very compassionate and willing to help people out in a hearbeat. They stick together and tend to be rather conservative. They are reasonably strict in their lifestyle and there isn't a lot of gray area. Unlike many churches, you are either very active, or you are just a name on the books only. There really is no in between. And, contrary to anti-Mormon propoganda, they are very much Christians. On the negative side, they will love you to death, but never stop trying to convert you. It may not be all that overt, but it will take place. You will be invited to church, social functions, etc. all the time and the goal will be to eventually get you baptized. A basic tenet of the faith is that those who marry in the LDS temple can be together for time and eternity. As a result, any woman who marries non-LDS is going to either have to accept settling for a "temporal" marriage (ends at death) or she is going to have to work on the spouse until one day they join up. If you have any consideration of perhaps converting, then this shouldn't be too big of a concern. If you are absolutely positive you do not want to ever become Mormon, then it will eventually become problematic.

To summarize, hanging out with Mormons is no different than hanging out with all Muslims, Catholics, Raider fans, CK5 fanatics, or any other group that shares a strong commonality. You will always feel a little left out if you don't share the same interest. The question is, can you live with that? PM me if you want to know a lot more.

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I don't know what your talking about but I do think I must have been having an LSD flashback when i proposed to my wife.

4. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

5. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Desert Rat hit it on the head...

LDS folks can marry whoever they darn well please...

I'll tell you from my own experience, though, if you don't share at least the same values (whether you share religious views or not) it'll be pretty weird... The members of the church are, for the most part, pretty cool about hanging out with whoever regardless of faith... Of course, some folks tend to freak out if you start doing "bad" things like drink alcohol or smoke in their presence... Just stay away from the ones from **** (Unclematty seems to be an exception :D) and leave the liquor at home, and you should be fine...

Also like Desert Rat said, it's important to remember that the LDS church is a missionary church. Every member is encouraged to act as a witness of God and Jesus Christ and to bear witness to as many people as will listen. It doesn't matter how many times you say you're not interested, if you have a friend who cares enough about you to share something that they feel is the greatest gift one could have, they won't shut up about it :crazy:...

So yeah... It would probably cause a few problems here and there, but if you find the right person, it won't be a huge problem if you were to marry someone who is LDS... Just be prepared for some pressure to join the church and go to the temple:wink1: I know a few people who are happily married, with only one of them being LDS...

Last edited: Jan 21, 2006
  6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Howdy, folks. I just dropped in to say "Hello"..........:whistle:

7. gauder

gauder Banned

It's those dang Scientologists you have to worry about. lol

8. dremu

Heh heh. You note, messr. Threadinator, that I was very clear in my initial post ... so I deny any responsibility for hateful followups :D

-- A

9. dremu

No. :D

-- A

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

No you didn't...............................:haha:

11. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

Hi Dad:ignore::screwy::eek::haha:

12. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

The pie made me do it.

13. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i think you should stay far away from this thread

but ill look if you post cause it will be the funnay

14. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

It was holy pie, I'm talking virgin Mary pie, I aint talkin no Mary Magdalene lemon marangue or any of that apostle banana cream...

15. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

ok good, that's what i was hoping you were talking about

16. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My mother is a member of the church and my father is not. It does work you will be accepted. My brother in law and step father in law aren't members and we accept them. My wifes sister and mother are both active. My wife and I and her sister and her husband are both married in the temple and active. If you are a supporting husband then it should never be a problem however make sure you discuss how the children will be raised cause thats where alot of the issues are going to come from. Being a Quaker you will find that there are a lot of similarities with both churches. the past posts about trying to convert you are true its kind of like if you find a really cool web site about something that you like you want to share it. The same is true about the LDS faith really cool, want to share, so we do.

17. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

LOCK EM UP AND THROW AWAY THE KEY! THEY WAS TALKIN BOUT RELIGION ON CK5, I SAW EM!:haha:

18. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Was not.............Rub rub......:D

19. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

Did I hear my name mentioned?

I have no ****ing idea what your talking about!
    Oh well, I married a good little mormon girl to keep my little heathen ass out of trouble!:haha:

20. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

just for the record, in response to the title of this thread, a gentile refers to anyone who is not jewish by lineage, not someone who is not of a faith.