Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lead shot, Steel tubes

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by 454k30, Jun 25, 2006.

1. 454k30

454k30 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I just bought my first autoloader, the SPR 453. Made by Spartan, and imported by remington. These gun seems very well built and came with 4 choke tubes all rated for steel shot. My question is if I can fire lead shot through these steel choke tubes? I have heard not to fire steel through lead tubes but how about the opposite? Seems to me that the softer lead should easily pass through these tubes but I just wanted to ask some more experienced shotgunners. Thanks for any info or pointers you might have.

2. BigBen

BigBen 1/2 ton status Premium Member

quick answer: Yes, you can shoot lead through them without damaging anything.

Some will claim that the pattern will be a little different, but you should always pattern your gun anyway so you know what it is doing. (They are all a little different)

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

As said you can shoot lead thru steel shot tubes. Choke tubes for steel shot are larger diameter than lead choke tubes. A full choke steel tube is about the dame diamater as a modified choke lead tube. Reason they are larger is steel does not compress when going thru a choke as easily as lead. If you compress steel shot too much it has a tendency to spring apart when leaving the barrel. Causing a wider or deformed pattrn.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Yep, like they mentioned it is ok to shoot lead threw steel tubes. If you are shooting lead threw a FULL choke for steel it is mod. Each tube is 1 choke less with lead.

Harley