Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Leaf And Shackle Bushing Help Please

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4wheelin4Jesus, Feb 2, 2006.

1. 4wheelin4Jesus

4wheelin4Jesus 1/2 ton status

i have a six inch after market leaf spring lift kit. I also have a 2 1/2" shackle flip kit, and greasable bolts for the leafs, and shackles. While trying to put the bushing ends into the shackles, and the shackle end with the bushing on it, i had trouble. It was pretty tight. I put some WD40 on the end of the bushings, and was able to beat them in. I bolted the leaf bolts down to the 120 foot pounds, and only put the bolt into the schackle that connects to the shackle flip mount. I lined up the rear end, and lowered the Jimmy down. When all the weight was on the springs, the bushings didnt budge. Not event the bushings where the shackle connects to the shackle flip. I hit the front of the shackle to drive it back to where it should be, and it slowly moved. This is no good. Has anyone ever run into this? If so, what should i do?
    thanks for your help

2. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

120 ft pounds is to much, 40 is fine

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

thats you're problem right there. Assuming you are using locking nuts (and you'd better be in this application!) you only need to tighten them snug. I dunno how many ft/lbs mine are at... maybe 30? 40? definitely NOT 120. Hopefully you didn't **** up your new bushings...

j

4. 4wheelin4Jesus

o, the directions are said to tighten the shackle to the shackle flip to 40, and the leaf springs to 120. Not to say you are wrong, but are you 100% sure? I appreciate your help.

5. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

yes none of them should be more than 40. at least not poly bushings. hell you only tighten ubolts to a lil more than 120

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

120-140 is a spring u-bolt nut spec. 30-40 is a spring eye bolt spec... and yes, I'm definitely sure. :) I wouldn't be surprised if my spring eye bolts were only 20-25. Never had a problem... I am anal about checking them all the time though. When I wheel I look under my rig pretty much every time someone else wants to stop (Im the guy who just wants to wheel the whole time...).

j

7. 4wheelin4Jesus

thanks for all the help.