Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

leaf lifts?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JimmyJuneau, Dec 28, 2002.

1. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

Is it true that you can add leafs to your leaf packs in order to get lift? If so how is this done? And is it a safe andrelaible way to lift your tru /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifck?

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

People have done this. I have personally seen a 14 inch thick leaf pack once. Its not a good idea. You will end up with a much rougher ride. depending on how much you add, it can start to get unsafe. You could try an add aleaf or find some used springs if your out to save a buck. People sell springs here quite a bit.

3. JimmyJuneau

Well I was thinking a four or 6 inch lift? Would that be too much to add to a spring set up?

4. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

If you add enough leaves to get 4 to 6 inches of lift It will ride like it has no suspension at all. Like he said look around or try ebay. Try a shackle flip if you don't already have one. That is 4" and cheaper than springs.

5. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

I for one can tell you that adding leafs gives one crappy-ass ride!!!!
    When I bought my truck, someone had put on what I'm guessing are 3/4 or even 1-ton springs (7 leafs!!). Yes it is lifted (I'm guessing 5 inches) but yes the ride is VERY stiff. The only reason I keep it is because I don't want to spend the money and tell myself I can live with it (plus not much flex) and also 'cos I tow a big boat.
    Don't do it!!!
    Get the shackle flip!!
    smack

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Best thing to do is just pony up the cash and buy a lift kit.

7. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I'll have a set of 4" blocks for sell soon, I'm putting my 14FF with shackle flip on....
    you can do different lifts depending on the moneys you want to spend.
    1-Shackle flip
    2-New 4" leaf springs
    I am putting the Echobit shackle flips... flip kit

8. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

I got 5" 's of lift by adding a 1" add-a-leaf (tuff country) to my stock pak. (oh ya... i had 4" blocks) I kept the factory overload, but just flipped it upside down so it only provided lift and not support. This worked great, rode fine, and held up for years.

9. JimmyJuneau

Ok scratch that idea.
    So If I were to get the echobit shackle flip I can gain four inches of lift in the rear and keep my stock springs? How hard is this to install. It looks cheap at only 90 bucks.is this better than buying 4 inch lift springs for the rear? /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

10. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

you would have the same ride you have now and you just unbolt you leaf springs from the shackle and then unbolt the shackle from the hanger, then just bolt the flip and you leaf pack on...

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You'll get more like 6" in the rear from the Echobit flip. How do I know? I have it.

In my opinion a shackle flip is better than springs, but there are advantages to both. It just depends on what you're going to use your truck for.

12. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't say that the flip or lift springs are better than each other without first looking at what your trying to accomplish. Most inexpensive lift springs tend to ride stiffer than your stock springs for a variety of reasons. This can be a good thing if your trying to stay rigid for cornering or towing bigger loads but can hurt your ability to flex out unless you have alot of weight (both truck and drivetrain) to really push them around. Running softer springs adds more lean in the corners, results in a softer overall ride and takes much less weight to articulate the axle and conform to obstacles. Its not untill you get into the higher end lift springs like Nationals where they tailor the springs directly to your truck by weighing both ends and custom building the packs to generate your desired lift, travel, and spring rate, that you get into a softer than stock ride from an all spring lift (unless your a 3/4 or 1 ton). The flip (regardless of who's flip you buy) is about the least expensive way to stay soft, and with cross platform spring swaps like the 57" Ford F150 leaf pack adaption you can begin to get rediculously soft and flexy with a very small investment. As for difficulty in the installation, TonyP is right, both the shackle flip and lift springs require unbolting the stock leaf pack and at elast loosening the spring plate. With the flip its just to work the spring around the stock hanger and doesn't require bench pressing the pack off the truck like a spring replacement does (unless you have a lot of lift and can pull it out over the tire like me! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif ).

13. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Tim is right on the lift as well, the kit can provide up to 5 3/4" of lift. Trucks tend to get more lift since there is very little weight on the rear springs, blazers tend to get closer to 4 1/2" of lift due to the shell, seating and weight distribution. I had one person call back because his stock springs were so worn out, he only got 3 1/2" of lift from the kit so it will be relative to your current springs condition and if they are sitting low, stock, or high.