Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Leaf Spring Bolt???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rolled, Oct 31, 2002.

1. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

One of the bolts on my front springs has broke. What is this part called and would Pep Boys have them? I suspect it has a more elegant name than leaf spring bolt /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Also, on one of the spring perch/pads the hole where the bolt from the springs rests, the hole is slotted. I assume this is for alignment, right? If so, how to I adjust this?

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

It's called a spring center pin.
    And for the slot in the spring perch, it would be logical to have it for alignment issues, but I have yet to see one like that. Al the ones I have seen are just a hole and I think it's because this pin is used to positively locate the axle so you can't really rely on the U bolts to hold it centered, it could slide.
    Are you sure it's not just worn out and elongated?

3. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

Thanks imiceman44

I'll have to look when I get home but I was prety sure it was a machined slot. It was only on the drivers side. It was a 10 bolt from an 87. I have not looked at the 10 bolt 3.73 from an 83 that I'm replacing the 3.08 with. I just assumed thay all had the slot.

I'll double check tonight.

4. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

I looked a both the front ends and they both have the slot but it is right to left. Not front to back like I thought so I guess it is to provide a little installation wiggle room.