Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Leaf spring bushing removal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fireinthehole, Jan 8, 2004.

I just got my BDS lift with rear springs (56") and the rears already have the bushings installed. Whats the easiest way to get them out, so I can put my ORD greaseables in? I was told to burn them out. I have removed bushings from the front sway bar by drilling around the sleeve and then smacking the hell out of it with a drift punch and that was a pain. I wonder why the rears already have the bushing installed but the fronts do not?
    Anyway, any other tips to get them out?

Mat

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

They're unused poly bushings? You should be able get them out with some channel locks.

2. Nope,their rubber.

3. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem when I did mine. Drilled out the rubber and used an air hammer on the metal sleeve. It was not fun.

I'd say burning them out is a better option, but I've never tried it. Good luck.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Nope,their rubber.

[/ QUOTE ]

OOOH, that sucks! It took me hours to get mine out. It was a really hot day almost two years ago and I remember I was about to pass out when it was over from swinging a hammer. Good luck!

5. Highjaxx

Highjaxx 1/2 ton status

BURN 'EM!!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Let them cook for a few minutes, put them out, and they should slide right out.

If you want to make it real easy; knock 'em out with a prybar when they are still on fire. They will be real soft. A torch is the easiest way to light them. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Looks like burnin them out is the way /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Thanks for the tips. I cant wait /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Mat

7. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

If you burn them out you still need to remove the outer sleeve for the ORD bushings to go in. You can use a large Hole-saw (one that will just clear the outer sleeve) to cut the rubber out then you can insert a hacksaw blade thru the hole and cut a slot in the outer bushing sleeve then drive it out with a punch or use a air-chisel.

I took my springs to a machine shop and they pressed them out for $5 each.

8. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I had the same deal on my dads 56" BDS rears. We drilled and smacked and drilled and smacked (We don't own a torch) got them out. The sleeve is easy. Slip a hack saw blade (metal one) through the hole. Saw a line in the sleeve (it will only take about 35 or so strokes). Now the pressure is gone, nock it out with a large socket and you are done (a sawzall would work too but I don't own one of them either /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif)

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I used a chisel on the sleeves.

10. Thanks again for all the tips. I dont have a torch, so I may have a shop press them out if the price is right. I still dont understand why they came installed with them in the first place. If I remember right, when I got 56" rears from rough country for my last Sub, they had rubber bushings installed also. BTW, the BDS springs are made in Canada, or at least these ones are.

Mat

11. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Yeh when i got my BDS rears they had rubber bushings, front dont, but the rears do...go figure. Yeh all BDS springs are made in canada. I drilled a ton of holes in the rubber then lit it on fire, smacked it out.