Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

leaf spring bushing removel

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DALE, Mar 23, 2001.

1. DALE

DALE Registered Member

hey everbody today i just recieved my new rear leaf springs from springs and things in danville PA anyway they came with rubber bushings and i want to remove them and put poly bushings. how do i take the rubber bushings out and get the poly's in. please help.

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Piece of cake. Take a 1/4 drill bit(with a drill) and drill holes in between the eye and the center bolt. The more holes you drill, the more rubber you remove, and the easier it will be to remove. Good luck

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

3. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

I just took out the inner metal sleeve and used a hammer and old large socket to pound on to knock them out.

<font color=red>Spirit of 76</font color=red>

4. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I've also heard of using a torch and melting them out, but take your time and don't get the spring too hot. You could ruin the temper.

[​IMG]

5. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

if you have access to a small press that would be the best way,, if not than it will be a long trip getting them out,,at least mine were on my old spring's,,i drilled them out and also used the torch along with a good sharp chisel and hammer...the new poly ones go right in,,,i suggest you never sieze them too,,makes less friction going in and also keep's them sliding for flexing.

ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Just hit them with a small torch and lite them on fire. Then you can pop them right out. Don't keep the torch on there too long or you may mess up the metal. The burning rubber is not hot enough to hurt anything. Do this outside. You can then remove the thin metal sleeve with an air hammer and a muffler cutting bit, a hammer & chisel are slower, but will work, too.

Jim '80 GMC
    Freedom First!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com>http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com</A>

7. Ryan Melton

Ryan Melton Registered Member

This is the easiest way I have found if you don't have a lot of tools (Torch, air chisel, etc.) Take one of the cheap propane torches that screws to the latern fuel type bottles and place the tip just inside the bushing eye. Let it sit for a few minutes and the sleeve will be so hot the rubber will have melted away and you can pull the bolt sleeve out with a pair of pliers. Take a drill with a 1/8 bit and put it between the bushing and the eye and it will rotate around the bushing and pull it right out. To get the sleeve out of the spring eye simply take a hacksaw blade, put it through the eye, and reassemble the hacksaw. You can cut through it in no time. This method keeps from ruining the spring temper and requires only simple tools.