Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

leaf spring bushing replacement

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ressurection, May 30, 2000.

1. Ressurection

Ressurection 1/2 ton status

Can anyone help me with this? I'd really appreciate it! What's the best way to remove old and install new bushings in my leaf springs? I'd like to do it on the truck without removing axles, etc. It's a '72 Blazer. Thanks!
    madbishop@msn.com

You can't beat going Topless!

2. BillR

BillR 1/2 ton status

Use a drill with a small bit to drill out the rubber all around the metal sleve. After that, you can chunk it out with a chisel or a punch.

Blazin' in Flagstaff

3. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

Um this may not be the safestest way but here is how i did mine and the ones in the frame. Just use a propane torch and burn them out, sounds crazy but it works! - Doug

4. Ressurection

Ressurection 1/2 ton status

If I chunk or burn out old bushing, how do I get the new one in? Also, my understanding is that the bushing comes out/goes in with a steel sleeve around it...does that get removed, and replaced as well? The bushings I purchased (at least for the front of the springs) have the sleeve around them.

You can't beat going Topless!

5. BillR

BillR 1/2 ton status

That's a good question! You can punch the old sleve out, but I've never seen a new bushing (urethane) with an outside sleve. Most are three part, with two bushing halves and a metal core. You can also use a chiesel to split and remove the old sleve.

Blazin' in Flagstaff

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

The new ones will go in easy. At most you may need a C-clamp. The metal sleave also comes out (on the factory set) and thats the booger. A freind has a press and that made the second set much easier. The first set I did on my 79 I beat them out with a socket and a 5lb sledge. Took most of a day. The second go around I just loaded up the springs went to my buds and he bud helped me press them out with his 30ton. We still had problems on one and had to drive the rubber out and take a torch and cut one sleave so we could get it out. I'm about to do set 3. I have located a set of mid 80's springs with the teflon pads to go into my 75. Yee haaa here comes the fun.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Yes the factory sleave must be removed.
    I used a chisel and basicaly cut a slice in the sleave then bent and pry with a screw dirver until it fell out!Mkae sure when hammering try not to bogger up the spring eye. Afer old stuff is out take some green pad(steel Wool) and clean real good then grease it up,grease all the new parts bussings metal tube all of it!
    Good Luck

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin

8. KENT

KENT 1/2 ton status

Burning them out is by far the easiest way to go. Just have some water and fire estinguisher handy!

I have never had a problem puting the new ones in. Use a little grease and they should slide in.

Good luck, and watch out; once the bushing starts to burn IT BURNS.

Kent

1989 K5