Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Leaf spring bushings, poly or rubber

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tch777, Dec 9, 2005.

1. tch777

tch777 1/2 ton status

Okay so I have to replace my stock bushings they are wasted.

I replaced a set of these on my old 76 F150 before and I used the drill out the and push the rubber out method with a ball joint press to do the pushing. That is until I broke the press, it was a cheap JC Whitney press.

So I am going to prepare better this time a buy some of the correct tools to make this easier on myself.

I can pick up a 6 ton hydraulic press or another ball joint press.
    Which will work better? I had to use an impact wrench on the ball joint press to get the other bushings out. Will a 6 ton press be enough to get er done?

Also I am going to put in either the ORD greasable bushings or get rubber replacements. If I go with the rubber replacements will the 6 ton press be able to press them in? Or will I still need a BFH and a new back when finished. I would really like to see some one post if they re installed factory rubber style bushings at home.

Also I need to cut out a couple bolts as they have fused to the old rubber bushings. I am going to get a new Sawz all from Sears. What blades work the best? And is it possible to cut the bolt out on the inside of the spring hanger without destroying it?

Thanks

2. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Use the ORD method, burn & drive-out the shell. Do not replace w factory rubber. Wrench the bolts until they unscrew or snap.

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

ord greaseable units. should be the last set you need to buy. i love them. and thay are on sale now i think.

4. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

I'm in the process of doing this to my truck. I bought a set of energy suspension polyureathane (sp) bushings F&R. I got the rear on today and my steering is a WHOLE lot tighter. Not too hard to install either. (BIG HAMMER! lol) Took about and Hour to do the rear once we figured out what the hell we were doing.

5. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

I say go with polyurethane, but only if you get greasable ones. Otherwise, poly squeaks too much.
    When I installed mine they slid right in without a hammer or press.

6. tch777

tch777 1/2 ton status

Yeah I know the polys slid right in. The press question was on the factory style rubber. But I did the pricing and I will be ordering the ORD greasables.

Thanks

Tim

7. Tominator II

Tominator II 1/2 ton status

Get the press, upgrade to a bigger hydraulic cylinder if needed, I would use a grinder w cutoff wheels on the bolts. Only time I replaced bushings I replaced w Polyurethane and they dont squeak. They were cheap too. Urethane doesn't degrade like rubber. You are not greasing the actual bushing anyway, just the bolt and sleeve.

8. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

you do grease the bushing. look at the ord ones :D

bushings 001.jpg

bushings 002.jpg

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

thats what I thought too... until after about a year of use the bushing broke in half. I use normal all-poly non-greasable bushings now... no problems.

j

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Eh, if you buy Energy Suspension non-greasables, they are the EXACT same bushings at ORD just without the little hole in the sleeve and you don't get a predrilled bolt(easy to do yourself if you have a lathe or access to one).