Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Leaf spring bushings

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pvfjr, Apr 26, 2005.

1. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I upgraded to the ORD heavy duty shackles and bushings last year, which changed the bolt size from 7/16" to 1/2". I just ordered a new set of 6" TC's, and they came with bushings already installed, but they look like they're for the 7/16 bolt in the rear eye. What should I do? I don't want to drop a bunch of money on a bushing set, when I only really need half of it. I know bushings are a pain to remove, but since they are greasable, is there any way to get them out of the new springs and into the old ones? Or what about a place to buy JUST the four small pieces of rubber that would go into the rear eyes and accept the 1/2" sleeve?

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

try poping them out. if not able to. call ord thay will sell you what you need . half kit or full thay dont care . thay are cool to deal with.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

shouldn't be a problem removing the bushings in your new springs. They are probably poly and should slide right out with some elbow grease. Its 20 year olf factory rubber bushings that are a PITA. Anyway, use a big bolt or something to push the sleeve out first. If the bushing has a good sized shoulder on it, you should be able to use a big flat screwdriver to (gently) pry up on it until one side slides out. Then just push the other side out from the inside.

j

4. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I'll guess I'll give it a shot then. The part that sucks is that whatever I try, I can't fail, cause I can't have the truck "disabled" on base while I wait for an order to come in. Hopefully it will go well.

5. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

I drilled my polly bushings out to 3/4" and used bigger sleeves that were for the 9/16" bolts I used.