Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Leaf Spring bushings

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Thumper, Aug 13, 2001.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Ok, any wisdon to share with me for removing the old rubber bushings? Of course I had to cut the old bolts off, cause they were rusted to the sleeve, so I have quite the mess. I am planning on burning them out tomorrow, unless there is an easier way. I tried a press tonite, which didnt really accomplish anything save for pissing me off! [​IMG] I got one rubber out in an hour, but still have to cut or beat out the outer sleeve. Any assistance will be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

2. JoeAngelicchio

JoeAngelicchio 1/2 ton status

Drill out the rubber around the sleeve till you can knock it out. Good luck.

<font color=green>Joe Angelicchio
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jangelicchio>http://community.webshots.com/user/jangelicchio</a>

Lisle, Ontario, CANADA</font color=green>

3. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

I just did what Joe said. Drill the rubber out around the inner sleave then punch the sleave out. Then take a saws all and cut the outter sleave at the one seaction of the spring that is not touching it and then bend it over onto itself and puch it out.
    Hope I wasn't to cornfusing. [​IMG]

See Ya,
    Keith

[​IMG] <font color=green>Born to Drive My K5</font color=green> [​IMG]

4. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Maybe consider getting the ORD greasable hardware to keep this from happening again and saving you some trouble the next time.................

5. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Well, sounds like a good idea with the drill. At least the neighbors wont be squawkin about the burnt rubber smell! They are the stock '85 bushings so I knew they wouldnt be fun to do.

Thanks again.

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]

6. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

drilling it is definately the way to go! they actually came out a LOT easier this way then I thought they would...

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff</a>

7. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

3 Years ago I did my 1980 springs (front were from a lift kit so they were newer, but the rear springs and front/rear hanger bushings were original (I used High Energy Suspension bushings and never-seized the snot out of them, no squeaks at all). I also pressed the rubber shock and steering stabilizer bushings out and replaced with poly bushing from Rancho. I pressed the rubber out with a 30 ton press (1hr and 15min for everything and then took an air chisel and cut down the inner sleeves (where applicable), took a heavy duty pair of dykes and pried the sleeve ends toward the middle and popped them out (about 1hr and 30 min with installation of new bushings). All totaled 2hrs and 45 mins (not including lunch and beer break), with the help of a friend handing me pieces, cleaning the holes out with a wire brush on a drill, rattle can painting the cleaned metal (then lunch and beer break), and lubing the new bushings for me. Not fun but it sure beat burnt rubber smell of heating with torch (tried that on a buddy's rig, talk about noxious fumes). Your time is going to depend on tools available, help, and condition of the original components. Hope this helps.

If you didn't build it yourself, how can you call it yours.......?

8. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Got them out and all changed... Tha drilling worked like a charm, thanks guys. Thats why I love this site, lots of experience to tap... saves lots of time and money.

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]