Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Leaf spring center pin broke...What can I use?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlueOx, May 6, 2003.

1. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

I finally got around to installing the 14 blt and the D60. The 14 blt is done but I ran into a little problem with the D60. I removed the front axle and found that the center pin that holds the leaf springs together was rusted and broken. I just wanted to know if I could use a bolt or do I need to find a spring shop and get the pin?

Thanks,
    Charles

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

NAPA carries real center pin bolts for about $3 each. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

they are cheep just get a actual centerpin

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Charles, you are in my neck of the woods.
    Go to the 4 Wheel Parts Wholesaler store by the dome on 610 south. They sell 'em, Rancho brand. Bring your broken one to make sure you get the right size - I accidently got a slightly larger around center pin and had to drill out my spring pack ( /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif )
    -- Mike

5. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

There's nothing special about them except for the round head. I myself prefer a grade 8 bolt (center pins aren't even grade 5) and if the hex doesn't drop into the hole on your perch just knock down the corners with the grinder. Some people argue that the bolt is designed to shear before a spring will crack and that the grade 8 will cause the leaf to crack first.... not true, I've broken 1 grade 8 in the spring and never fractured a leaf. That being said, I'd much rather have a grade 8 in there than the center pin (+/- grade 5) that I used to have to change every couple of weeks /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

6. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

oh yeah, the grade 8's are only a buck a piece compared to the $3 center pin /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif