Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Leaf Spring Center Pin Questions...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlazerWheels, Jun 18, 2004.

1. BlazerWheels

BlazerWheels 1/2 ton status

I am putting shims on my truck tomorrow to get the pinion angle to match the angle at the Tcase. When I install the shim, teh center pin will not be long enough to reach the axle (Covered by shim - 6*). Do I just replace the center pin with a bolt???
    2. Should it be Grade 8??
    3. Where can I get some???
    4. Do I put it in upside down so the long end is through the shim and into the axle perch???

Thanks in advance....

/forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

if you use a bolt put it with the head on the bottom of the spring and grind it round so it fits in the center pin hole on the perch.

3. BlazerWheels

BUt that wouldn't make it any longer would it??????

4. BlazerWheels

Can I buy Longer centering pins???

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

oh I get what you are asking. There are center pins that are longer for shims. Surprised someone didn't try to sell you them. No idea where to get them myself, sorry I'm a waste of space sometimes.

6. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Napa sells them in various lengths /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

Am I understanding what you are asking - Are you thinking that the centering pin stays in the spring and the shim just sits between the spring and perch, with the part of the centering pin that went in the axle going through it? If so, all of the shims I have ever used you have to take the centering pin out of the spring and then you put the spring pack back together with a new centering pin and the shim actually becomes part of the spring pack, then bolt the sping back onto the axle. The shim will be the "bottom leaf" of the pack.

If I misread your question, then nevermind - carry on /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Dorman makes all sizes and lengths of centering pins. Your local auto parts store can probably order you whatever size you want.

IIRC our trucks use a 5/16" centering pin however long your spring is.

As to the grade, I'm not going there.

9. BlazerWheels

[ QUOTE ]
    Am I understanding what you are asking - Are you thinking that the centering pin stays in the spring and the shim just sits between the spring and perch, with the part of the centering pin that went in the axle going through it?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yes, that is exactly what I am thinking. That is what it appears to do, as the hole in the shim is MUCH larger than the bolt is. SO the bolt would just slide through it. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[ QUOTE ]
    If so, all of the shims I have ever used you have to take the centering pin out of the spring and then you put the spring pack back together with a new centering pin and the shim actually becomes part of the spring pack, then bolt the sping back onto the axle. The shim will be the "bottom leaf" of the pack.

If I misread your question, then nevermind - carry on /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Maybe teh shims I got at the 4x4 shop here are wrong. They were ProComp.... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

10. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

Maybe they are right, maybe wrong. Here is a pic of what I was refering to, you can see the silver shim on one of the spring packs. Maybe ask the guy at the 4x4 shop /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[​IMG]

11. richheezee

richheezee 1/2 ton status

I have the same shims so if plan on running them. You need a spacer installed between the centerbolt head and springs, so the actual head of the centerpin protrudes thru the shim to the spring perch. For centerpins I have been using allen head bolts. I made the spacer out of the same size nuts that fit the centerpins. I lock two of them on a centerpin and rounded them on a grinder and then drilled the threads out. So far so good. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif I will see how it is all holding up soon because I need to take apart my leaves again because I like wasting time. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif LOL!

Rich

12. BlazerWheels

Yeah, the extra height is what was told to me. I just have to wait til Monday when the Suspension shop in town opens to get longer bolts to make up for the length. Mine Dont bolt to the spring pack......OH WELL....Monday it is /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif