Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Leaf spring centerbolt?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by WhiteBurb, Aug 24, 2005.

1. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

I searched and didn't find an answer. Why do my rear leaf springs keep fanning out? Is the center bolt too loose?
    Also, I'm making some zero rates for the front. Are longer center bolts something I can find at any parts store?

Thanks.

2. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

If they're fanning out, the retaining clip(s) is/are missing. They are either bolt-on kinds or military-wrap kinds depending on spring type. Theyre should be 2 on each spring - between the center pin & eye on each side, closer to the eye side.

Here's the bolt-style one...
    [​IMG]

And the military-wrap style...
    [​IMG]

Yes, most parts stores carry center bolts. They come about 8" long and you cut them to fit your spring pack after you have the leaf pack together.

Mike

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

no you need to have spring clips on the leafs near the ends to stop fan out. and the ceter pin is for location and to hold them together till installed. as for pin its grd 2 . so any bolt with the head ground down will work or any spring or big truck parts store will have them.

4. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

The 4 longer leafs are held by the retainers. The overload and the short spring are the ones that are spreading out. I know they can only go so far because of the u-bolts, but it looks like the one might go too far.

5. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

If there's clips on the 4 you'll be fine. As long as the longer leaves are held together, it will reduce the stress on the main leaf exponentially.

Mike

6. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

Cool, thanks again. :laugh: