Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

leaf spring conversion kit ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sweetk30, Mar 13, 2006.

1. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i have a customer at work with a newer coil sprung dodge 1 ton cummins. he wants to swap out that and go leafs . all of this to run 49" tires. any kits or info on how to do this would be great. we are basicly looking for a bolt on kit or semi bolt on kit and some welding and simple stuff. nothing to supper custom.

2. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

Is he wanting to be hardcore, or just a mall crawler. If he's not really concerned with articulation, why not just a regular skyjacker 7" coil lift kit, and a 3" body lift. He could also put a spacer to get an extra 1 or 2" of lift from those front coils, and maybe a small block in the rear (although mine already has a factory block :eek1: ) If he did all of this and maybe trimmed the fenders and used some bushwackers, he would probably clear 49's, I would assume.
    I'm just curious what he's wanting to do with it? There is actually an air bag kit that gets some pretty high lift. I have never heard of a leaf spring conversion kit. I'm sure it could be fabricated, and maybe somebody has come up with a kit since the last time I researched it, but I personally don't know of one.
    thanks,
    James

3. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

Well, since its a Cummins dodge on 49s, i'd have to guess the latter.

4. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Don't know of any kits, but a friend of mine put a HP60 in his Dodge, used the coil springs. He ordered almost 2' (yes feet) long coils from someplace in Cali, can't remember the specs, but he clears 44s with it. Basically took a donor front axle, cut the coil brackets and link stuff off, and put it on the 60. For a Dodge, looks good.

5. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

just wondering but why does he want to go leaves? just call up a spring company(alcan, deaver, national). have them make you some super arched springs to your sspecs then just make spring buckets and shackle mounts, shouldnt be too hard...

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

first he has the 7" kit and 3" body in it now. it clears 40s just fine for what he does. he is wanting a big truck now. and as to making some stuff. he is a kind of picky and whinny customer. but if i can do it like i listed above it will be fine for him and me to make all of us happy.

7. Cornfield creations

Cornfield creations 1/2 ton status

The air bag kit is made by kellerman air ride. Air ride techonologies here in Jasper make the controls, but Kellerman makes the lift kits. It goes from like 6 or 7 inch lift, up to 17 inches. Direct bolt in I am sure. Not cheap but they are awesome set ups. Thats how I would go if I had a mall cruiser.

8. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Thats what id do, prolly the easiest way. they did that on xtreme 4x4's first show