Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Leaf spring hangers and removing body from frame

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pvt. Maggot, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Pvt. Maggot

Pvt. Maggot 1/2 ton status

So, on my new blazer frame, the people were going to scrap it..so they cut the mounts insted of unbolting the leaf springs, so do you think i'd be better off taking the leaf spring mounts from my old frame, or buying new, or making new ones? I'd like to use the old ones if I could, to keep costs down as much as possible..but I don't see how I could take them off without messing them up pretty bad hah..any help would be great. Also, when they dropped it off they drug it off the trailor being that it has nothing under it..I have it blocked up on the frame now, what would be my best bet for getting the body off? looking for suggestions from people who have done it, thanks alot guys!

Jack

2. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

get new brackets from a junk yard. If its the rears, and you are going to lift it, you could just get a shackle flip bracket to start wtih.

If keepign stock height, just get them at a yard.

3. Pvt. Maggot

I have 4' leafs all around for it, And I have another blazer that I can take the mounts from. So i'm guessing that would be my best bet, any info on how to take them off without messing them up?

4. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

where I can get to I use a grinder on the rivets. on the front mount under the rad support you can use a drill, it takes longer. you don't need to go all the way through. just drill the head off and hit the mount off with a BFH. then grind off the rest of the rivet and punch it out of the frame.

when it comes to the body get lots of friends. Get everything disconnected in the way of wirring and body mounts. remove everything heavy from inside. Do you plan on keeping it? If not simply cut it up.

If you are keeping it then either pick it off or roll the frame out from under. whichever is easier for you. know anybody with a forklift or backhoe that likes free beer?

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

also use 7/16 bolts to reinstall. and if possible get them with a smooth shank with in the middle before the threads start. thay fit better in the holes over 3/8 and that flat section gives you much better suport over just threads.

6. gmcburb1965

gmcburb1965 clever user title

If you have another blazer with good mounts why not just swap the body over to the good frame?

7. Pvt. Maggot

The blazer I bought have a good frame and body, my other blazer has a bad body and frame, i'm taking my engine and a front clip, and a few other parts from it, and thats it.

8. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

I've always found that a torch is the best way to get rid of rivets.
    Second best is an angle grinder. Grind off the heads, then just punch them through.