Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

leaf spring help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by makovai, Dec 9, 2006.

1. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

So, today i'm installing my new 8" skyjackers in the front. I do it one side at a time for a number of reasons. First side comes out and the new spring is completely installed. Go to do the second side. first i remove the rear shackle completely off the car. then i go to pull the bolt out of the solid shackle and it's not budging. To make a long story short, the spring wont come out becuse the bolt has rusted itself to the sleeve that goes through the bushings. I can turn the bolt fairly ez'ly but thats it. I pounded, i heated, i twisted, i through everything but the kitchen sink at this bolt and i cant get it out.

I need suggestions cause i'm out of ideas.

Anyone....please help.

2. JohnDeere

JohnDeere 1/2 ton status

Cut the bolt with a sawzaw or hacksaw. it needs to be replaced anyways

3. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

cut it where?
    Theres no way to get any kind of a saw or for that matter a grinder at it on the ends, and these old springs are 6 month old 6" lift superlifts. I can't ruin them.

I've been trying to plan out a way to drill the ends but thats gonna be a nightmare.

4. JohnDeere

JohnDeere 1/2 ton status

ok here is what I think you are looking at. sorry for bad drawing

Why dont you cut the bushing and the bolt that way you wont ruen the spring just need a new bushing. I would cut on both sides were the green line is
    [​IMG]

5. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

well, that would work except it's the drivers side and i have a strap on the front of the shackle. I'm not to sure what years they did that but my first gen has a piece of steel(from the factory) welded to the front of the shackle. I cant get anything in there to cut it.

6. johnnychimpo

johnnychimpo 1/2 ton status

I just had the same problem with my "79 K20. I took my 4" angle grinder w/a cutoff wheel and cut the bolt between the bushings and the ear on the spring mount. With a new wheel I had just enough to cut through the front eye bolts.As far as the strap goes cut into it as the cutoff wheel cuts the bolt. If it needs to be, weld up the cut in the strap.

7. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

these answers are not what i was hoping for. I wanted someone to say. just buy a $20 leafspring bushing sleeve remover and heres the part # 215646bla bla bla :D

I cant believe my luck. I have peeps lined up to buy my old springs and i cant get the one out :mad:

8. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

"....no man, you need some magic dust...:haha: !"

9. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

air hammer with concave button head bit so when hammering on the bolt to drive it out it wont keep poping off the bolt. i do this all the time at work. works great. if that wont get it then time for new parts.

10. k30bb468

k30bb468 1/2 ton status Premium Member

There's no magical soultion, just get out the blue tipped
    wrench to remove the bolt ,you will destroy the bushing but
    it will not ruin the spring. You will just have to buy new bushings.

11. JohnDeere

JohnDeere 1/2 ton status

You could take your front bumper off that way it would be easy to get to. Then hit with the biggest ****ing hammer and watch it fly out.
    Then you wont have to buy a new bushing just a new spring mount.:haha:

12. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

magic dust huh! where can i get that at? Best suggestion so far.
    I really thought there was gonna be a cool trick for this. I'm frustrated, my truck is in the air supported poorly cause i cant lift with the axle, theres a wind storm moving in, and my wife says i have to do xmas lights today.....sucks to b me.

13. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

The secret trick is to cut the bushing and bolt like several have said on here already. Are you sure it is not just bound up it has only been 6 months right? Hit it with a big ****in hammer.

Ira

14. 85-m1028

85-m1028 1/2 ton status

try an impact hammer with a pointed tip to drive that sucker out!!

15. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

I got it out.

:hack:

Thanks for the help.

16. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

next time try this...

One way I've had sucesss removing leaf spring bolts seized into the bushing sleeves is to remove the nut,then completely grind or saw the head of the bolt off--then add a few washers and screw the nut back on,and tighten it--using an air impact works best..this will "pull" the headless bolt thru the bushing--you'll need to add more washers if the nut runs out of thread and repeat the process if its really stubborn..

Usually once the bolt pulls thru even a little,it will spin free and can be coaxed out fairly easy..I did many this way at the junkyard,where we couldnt use torches in some cases due to fire hazards.., and at home,until I got torches and a sawsall,and angle grinders..I've also used metal cuttoff wheels in either my 9" grinder or a circular saw to cut those bolts out..:crazy:

17. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

The first gens must have a different shackle then the others, cause there was no getting a grinder in there, although i could have drilled the head off, and the rest of your idea would have worked great. I will remember this idea if i ever run into this issue again. Thanks.

I ended up going with the sawzall, i destroyed the bushing but it came out.

I am a skyjacker all spring lift now, and the cross steer has lots of clearance.

[​IMG]