Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Leaf Spring Ping Broke

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Eagle, May 30, 2000.

1. Eagle

Eagle Registered Member

OK. I am not sure how it broke but it did. The little pin that seats all of you leaf springs together broke while I was on the trail. When it broke it pushed all the individual leafs out of alignment. Know I need to re-center all the leafs and get what remains of the pin out. My question is there an easy way of doing this? I know I have to jack up the front end. But do I need to remove the whole front-end suspension? Could I just remove the Leaf spring in question? I have never removed a leaf spring before so any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated. Do I need any special tools to remove a leaf spring or put it back on?

There is a VERY fine line between hobby and mental illness

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

You can just undo your (4) u-bolts and drop the axle down a little bit. Then you will have access to you spring and center bolt.
    Pull the remaining bolt pieces out and C-clamp you spring back together and in the place of the bolt use a srewdriver to align the individual leaves.
    Then measure the distance from the top of the top leaf to the bottom of the bottom leaf. Then take the remaining pieces of your bolt(especially the round head of the bolt) to a bolt store and buy a grade 5 or grade 8 hex head bolt.

I did this with my rear springs.

If you have anymore questions, e-mail me privately!

Mike
    82 GMC Jimmy "Emmett"
    IN TOO DEEP Off-Road Club

3. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

Dont listen to him he doesnt know what he is talking about.. Just kidding.. He is right that is the way to do it. I would make sure you get grade 8 though. good luck

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I would also add that it may have been loose Ubolts that caused this to happen so make sure you tourque them down to spec and check the tourque settings regularly. If you find your Ubolts are constently in need of tightning I would replace them with a new set!! Ubolts are vital and must be keept tight!
    Best of luck

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin

5. Eagle

Eagle Registered Member

Leaf Spring Ping Broke Part 2

I have just lifted up the front end and removed the U-bolts. I dropped the axle and there is still too much tension on the leaf spring to align the holes. I have tried using a screwdriver and a cold steel punch to align the hole with no luck. To get the individual springs to move I had to use an 8 pound sledge hammer and chisel. For some reason there still is too much pressure on the springs. But when one get aligned the other springs move and I am back to square one. It looks like I may have to remove the spring. What am I getting my self into here?

There is a VERY fine line between hobby and mental illness

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Re: Leaf Spring Ping Broke Part 2

If the axle is dropped away from the spring there shouldn't much tension on spring at all.
    Are these aftermarket or stock springs? Do they have spring clamps on them? If so, it may be easier to remove the clamps completely and then reinstall them. This shouldn't be that hard of a job. if the clamps are factory you may end up breaking them, but they can be purchased from a dealer or through an aftermearket place like Superlift.
    Sounds like you have clamps on your springs though. If you take them off or loosen them, they leaves should be really easy to move. Or if you take the clamps completely off, all the leaves should come off except for the main leaf!

Mike
    82 GMC Jimmy "Emmett"
    IN TOO DEEP Off-Road Club