Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Leaf Spring Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Justin Fleming, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Justin Fleming

Justin Fleming 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I had new spring put up front on my k5......Now the steering wheel is crook-id....is this because I added an extra leaf and not the arm is on a different angle??

thanks

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

This is either because the new spring(s) changed the ride height or the new spring(s) has the center pin in a different location.

Did you change 1 spring or both sides? Check it out to make sure the springs are the same and that one is not installed backwards. Given that everything is OK with that, adjust the sleeve on the drag link to bring your steering wheel back to center.

If you changed the height of the truck, make sure you corrected the angles. The drag link should be horizontal when the truck is sitting.

3. Justin Fleming

Justin Fleming 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I cant compare the new ones to the old ones as I just bought the truck and this is what the guy was telling me....I do know that both sides were replaced....I will take a look at them and see if I can determine is they are in the correct way...

thanks

Justin

4. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

My drag link is at the correct angle, and it's far from horizontal. I guess a horizontal drag link is fine for stock springs that are flat, but with any significant amount of lift there should be some angle on the draglink.

[​IMG]

5. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I'm not sure about all springs, but mine were "idiot proof" when installing them. The front bolt is 9/16" and the rear bolt is a 7/16", making them almost impossible to install wrong.