Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

leaf spring question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shupach, Nov 19, 2001.

1. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

so im installing my leaf springs when i noticed that one of the bushings for the front leaf spring has no metal cylinder in it, i went ahead and bolted it up just for the helluvit, however is this little metal cylinder really necessary?

phill

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I would *guess* (since no one else answered) that yes, its there because its usually there because its necessary.

Probably allows you to compress the shackle until it hits that "sleeve" which keeps the bolt from "wiggling" as much, which will elongate the bolt hole. Dads 3/4 ton did that, I guess I should check to see if the "sleeve" is missing.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Yeah, sounds right. Without the sleeve in the back (shackles), you would tighten up hard on the bushing and it wouldn't move right. On the front, I don't think you would pinch the bushing but the bolt would wallow out the bushing.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.