Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Leaf Spring Questions again

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by anjieandjohn, Jun 1, 2005.

1. anjieandjohn

anjieandjohn Registered Member

I have read through the postings about leaf springs on the site and have a simple question NOT related to adding lift to my vehicle. I have a busted spring on the front driver's side. It is the 2 spring type which is standard I assume for non-heavy duty uses. Will there be any change in the ride if I add the 3 spring type to replace the 2 spring? Like I said, I am not looking to lift the truck YET. Just have to get past the state inspection.

Thanks for the help.

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I swapped 2 for 3...

I put 3 leaf HD springs from a suburban in my 74 K20 I had,to better deal with a plows heavy weight(800lbs)...It did not lift the truck at all,but it did ride much stiffer..my 82 K20 I replaced the 74 with has 2 leaf front springs,I use the same heavy plow,it rides much better than the 3 leaf ones did,with or without the plow!..and its a diesel,which is heavier than a gas motor!..

By "stiffer" I dont mean a kidney pounding jarring ride,but a much firmer and less bouncy ride...I used the 3 leaf springs because they were 10 bucks from a friends parts truck...I carried a lot of weight in my 74,so I prefered the heavier springs.. :crazy:

3. anjieandjohn

anjieandjohn Registered Member

Removing the spring

Thanks for the help. Now I am ready to remove the old springs and put new ones in. What is the easiest way to remove the old springs without damaging the shackles that are there already? I am able to get the nut off of the end of the pins but the pins will not push out. I am guessing they are fused with the inner metal sleeve of the bushing. I know I need to replace the bushings so I have bought new ones. :confused:

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

here's how I deal with them...

You can use a sawsall to cut the bolts--put the blade between the spring and the shackle or hanger and cut both sides,use new bolts on the new spring--(its highly unlikely you'll get them out in reusable shape!)....

Another way is once you get the nut off,is to cut or grind the bolt head off completely,add washers to the other end,and screw the nut back on and tighten it,adding more washers if needed--this will pull the bolt thru the spring bushing and break it free..but since your replacing the spring,cutting the bolts with a sawsall ot thin cutoff wheel is easier and quicker..I have had little success removing spring bolts with wrenches--they ALWAYS fuse to the bushing sleeves,and can be a HO to get out!..make sure the "center" bolt is in good shape in the replacement spring!--I see lots of sheared ones in the front of GM 4x4's.... :crazy: