Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Leaf spring removal help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mastiff, Aug 8, 2003.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm working on replacing my shackle and spring bushings with some greasables from ORD. Step one is to unbolt the leaf spring. How do I know when I have the tension off of it?

I have the frame jacked way up on stands and a jack under the axle, so I can move it anywhere, I just can't tell when the tension is off. My Hanes book just says "remove tension", like it's obvious.

Any pointers? Thanks!

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

eyeball it and line it up, it should be fairly obvious, no way to really explain it.

Now get off the 'puter, and finish 'er up /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

When you can hit the end of the bolt and it moves fairly easily then you know that the tension on the spring is released.

4. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Jack the rig up till the bottom of the tire is off the floor/ground about 1". There will be no spring pressure left. If the axle drop's jack it up on reinstallation. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. Mastiff

Thanks for the replies. Yeah. I jacked it up and down while twisting the bolt to get a rough feel. I was mostly guessing, but it didn't move much when the bolt came out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

The real challenge now is getting the old bushings out. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif The shackle was tough but okay, since I could take it away from the truck and drill/torch/etc. until I could get it out. I'm quitting for the night with the spring eye bushing still wedged in there pretty tight. I've drilled about 4 holes in it so far... what a PITA. I thought the poly ones in the springs would pop out easier, but they seem to have made a home in there. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

6. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

If you're removing poly bushings from the springs then here's something I'm going to try, maybe it'll give you some ideas. I don't think this will work with rubber bushings thouhg.
    Put the spring in a vise and have the other end supported on the workbench so it's level. Put a bottle jack under the bushing and have the jack supported by a 4x4 so it sits up against the bushing. It should work like a mini hydraulic press. If you try it let me know how it works. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    The real challenge now is getting the old bushings out.

[/ QUOTE ]
    HAHA i was so sick of drilling those things out that if i could one spring done a day i was excited /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Mastiff

I didn't want to take the springs off the truck since I'm just changing out the bushings. I went out and got them out after my last post (even though I said I was quitting /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif). They weren't too terribly tight, not like OEM rubber. What I did was basically cut away the poly that stuck out from the spring on one side, then got a hold of the sleeve with a pair of vise grips and twist back and forth until I got it pulled out. After that I could work a screwdriver between the bushing and the spring and eventually work them loose. A hammer and a can of liquid wrench help.

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

You can use 2 sockets and a peice of threaded rod as a press to remove and install the leaf spring bushings,use a socket slightly larger than the bushing on one side,one slightly smaller on the other,tighten the rod and they should come out.Kinda like the way you take u-joints out with 2 sockets,but the threaded rod applies the force,not a hammer! I always have to cut the shackle bolts with a sawsall--I dont ever recall getting one out of the spring bushing because they rust into the metal sleeve in the bushing /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif--and the u bolts only come off with torches here in new england,dont remember ever having one actually unscrew,and be re-useable!I have to replace the rear springs in my van,the rear spring broke the "eye" part in the drivers side front eye of the rear spring right off halfway around the bushing ,it was just the weight of the truck holding it together /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifthe top half of the eye was missing /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif--I made a strap out of flat stock and bent it around the spring eye and clamped it on with some square u bolts--this was suppossed to be temporary but its been like that for over a year /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gifnow it needs front end work too /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gifhad it for 14 years,may be time to check out a blazer my neighbor has for sale--86 K5 305 th700r4 for 300 bucks,but rusty as usual!I miss the K5's I had in the past and may just get another one!. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. Mastiff

[ QUOTE ]
    You can use 2 sockets and a peice of threaded rod as a press to remove and install the leaf spring bushings,use a socket slightly larger than the bushing on one side,one slightly smaller on the other,tighten the rod and they should come out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm having a hard time picturing how this works. The threaded rod goes through the bushing? Am I turning nuts with the sockets, and if so, how do I get to choose what size socket?

Sorry if this is stupid. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

11. diesel4me

Its hard to explain in words but yes the threaded rod goes thru the bushing,and the small socket is on one side of the bushing,the larger one goes on the opposite side.The sockets are just used to push and receive the bushing--use thick flat washers between the sockets and the nuts on the threaded rod and tighten them with a wrench(1/2 inch impact gun works best),and whack it with a hammer if they dont press out easily--this usually works for me,but I had to pay to press them out before at the machine shop,25 bucks for a 2 minite press job- /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif-the guy told me to do it this way and not "waste his time" with people like me--nice guy,huh?. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gifWell,at least I got a good tip out of him--but I only go to his shop as a last resort now!. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifIf I could I'd draw a picture of it for you ,sorry if I confused you!. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. Mastiff

I think that makes sense. I guess it takes a really big socket on the one side if the bushing is to fit inside. I'm not sure I have one so big right now. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Thanks.

13. diesel4me

Peices of pipe of the appropriate size can be substituted for the sockets,but most people have more sockets hanging around than pipe--I used the socket that fits the dana 44 axle nut(front wheel bearing)but I broke it after several years of abusing it this way(but I didnt tell the snap-on guy!).Also you can put a long bolt in the bushing and use only 1 large socket,but usually this method pulls the center sleeve thru the rubber and you have to chisel the outer shell out.And if all else fails,heat prevails--burn them out with the torch! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifDoing leaf springs is not a fun job without torches and sawsall--I usually saw the shackle bolts off and get new ones,they NEVER unscrew for me,there always rusted to the metal sleeve. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gifIf the nut will come off the shackle bolt,you can cut off the head of the bolt,and stack flat washers on the bolt and tighten the nut,this will pull the headless bolt out--youll have to back off the nut and keep adding washers though. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif