Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Leaf Spring Replacement

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rogersboys90K5, Jul 25, 2001.

1. Rogersboys90K5

Rogersboys90K5 Registered Member

I have a 90 K5 used mostly as a daily driver that has rear sag;the right side being worse than the left. I do use it in the fall for some off road trips for deer hunting and for pulling a trailer. I need some advice as the best replacement spring/shock combination and some idea of the cost to do the project. Any ideas??
    Thanks!

yahoo

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I would tell you the spring/shock setup I plan on doing, but after giving a ballpark price, y'all will forget the deer hunting and end up hunting the Boudreaux man. Can you be a little more specific, do you want to raise it up a bit?

"I am Republican. Not a baby-killing, tree hugging, land grabbing, touchy feely, hypocrite wuss democrat!"<a target="_blank" href=http://www.handguncontrolinc.com>www.handguncontrolinc.com</a>

3. Liberator

Liberator 1/2 ton status

I think just about every Blazer or pickup has a problem with sagging rear springs. I called up Rough Country and ordered a set of short Add-A-Leafs for around $50. They helped re-arch the springs. However, the Add-A-Leafs used in conjunction with shims may raise the rear too high! I hope this helps! It's the remedy I used!

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Check out these guys<a target="_blank" href=http://www.espo.com/>http://www.espo.com/</a> They have good prices on springs. They can build springs that will give you a 2" lift over stock hight.
    Also look in your phone book under springs. There may be a local spring shop that will re arc yours or make you a custom set. And save shipping charges.
    As for shocks i used to run Rancho 5000s. But I recently switched to Gabrial LT VSTs. They ride and handle better than the 5000s and cost less.

5. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I was in the same boat with my 85. I priced new rear springs from LMC and Rough Country. They ran about $250-275 for a set. That's when I decided to lift the truck. The Rough Country 4" lift complete with shocks, steering arm, and front/rear springs was only $459. Now I am very happy I decided to lift it instead of just replacing the springs.

Just my .02

Brian
    Click to see <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com> My 85 Jimmy </a>

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I talked to a local spring shop. Although some consider this less thanan ideal solution, the shop said for $275, they would re-arch the stock springs and put in an add-a-leaf. All I had to do was bring in the truck, tell them how high I wanted it, and give them the money when they finished.

Downsides most have stated are: add-a-leafs harshen the ride up a bunch. Friends K5 did NOT get any harsher with add-a-leafs..maybe they break in with time, these were slightly used when he installed them. Second, re-arching springs is supposedly less than ideal because they will just lose their arch. Not sure what kind of time frame we are talking about, but thats something to consider.

I am going to go this route for a couple of reasons. If you sag more on one side than the other, you can be dealing with many factors, since weight on the rear springs SHOULD be even (unless you have a broken and missing leaf..I did) and the ride height should be even side to side, unless something else is wrong. If someone arches springs, and puts the add-a-leaf in, and you pay them, THEY are the ones that have to worry about removing and installing the springs time and again to get height right. Friend just installed 4" lift on his K5, and had to take back the first set of rear leafs he bought for the lift..they were about 2" higher than was stated. Thats more work than I want to do when spending that kind of money.

Some advice, take the truck to a pad of concrete known to be flat (check with level if you like) Make sure tires are aired up identically, and no additional weight in the truck. Measure the distance from the ground to the body line (81-91 at least) at both the front and rear axle hubs. Thats just a static, easy to use measurement. That body line should be even front and rear, side to side.

For instance, I did this, because my left rear sags quite a bit apparently. Come to find out after measuring, yes the rear sags about 1", but the height is even side to side in the rear... Problem is the FRONT suspension...passenger side front fender measurement is 1" taller than drivers side front, and 2" taller than both rears. (44" RF, 42" LR/RR) Gives it a very bad leaning look from the rear. You might notice something similar too, and short of anything simple being messed up, non matching, custom springs are the only cure. $275 isn't bad IMO for all that work. hate having someone else do it, but I just can't re-arch my own springs.

Mines a daily driver too, with occasional hunting duty and light trailer towing, so we're thinking similar uses I believe.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

7. Rogersboys90K5

Rogersboys90K5 Registered Member

Thanks for the advice. I guess the first thing I'll do is measure the height all around to see where the problem really is, and go from there. With three boys always needing money for something and the oldest starting college in a few weeks, I might try the reasonably priced spring shop re-arching route and see if I can save a few bucks.

Thanks Again

yahoo