Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

leaf spring shackles

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ed rex, Jul 6, 2004.

1. ed rex

ed rex Registered Member

So....trying to convert a '68 'burb from 2wd to 4wd using pert near everything from my wrecked '70 Jimmy. It is definately not as simple as 'unbolting from the Jimmy, bolting on the suburban'. The first problem encountered is WRT the suspension. The burb has a coil spring setup. Pulling off this crap is not that difficult, but the first thing I noticed is that there are no leaf spring mounting shackles.

Will this be something I will have to grind off the Jimmy and weld onto the frame of the suburban, or is there someplace that sells the leaf spring shackles so that I can just mount them to the burb frame? Thanks.

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

front or rear?
    and how much lift you looking at achieving??

3. ed rex

ed rex Registered Member

Sorry.....front AND rear....I had about 8" of lift on my Jimmy that I am moving over to the sub.

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

On the rear you should be able to transfer all the brackets over to the burb frame. You may have to measure the frame width though. I do believe the coil'd rear had a wider frame at the back.

as for the front, the front spring hanger should have indexing holes under the current body mount. The rear mount of the front springs will need to be hole sawed and bolted into place. look for an indexing hole.

5. ed rex

ed rex Registered Member

Thanks....by 'transfer over' I suspect you mean grind the rivets and reattach via bolt/weld?

6. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

yeap
    measure, drill and bolt.