Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Leaf Spring to Coil Spring

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by spm4520, Aug 28, 2002.

1. spm4520

spm4520 Registered Member

Is there anyone who makes a coil spring conversion kit for a 73-87 4x4. I want a better ride and off road performance for my truck. I want to keep it lifted 6" and run 35"-37" tires. It's a daily driver so ride quality is important too. Most of these trucks are very rough once lifted. Any suggestions on kit manufacturers or trucks that would make good doners?

2. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Steve Frisbie (Moo) and Stephen Watson (Ord) have both done this, no kits available that I know of at this time.

3. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Find a 63-72 Chevy 2wd truck for a donor. They use a rear coil spring suspension and should be easy to adapt to any 73-87. You could use the factory mounting brackets, trailing arms and aftermarket coils to get the lift you want.

4. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Check out some soft Prerunner type leafs from Deaver spring or National ( both in souther Cali). They are pricey but ride really nice and will still cost less than coilovers.

5. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

I am in the middle of it on mine
    We, Rocktek Engineering, can do it for ya!!!

6. spm4520

spm4520 Registered Member

Hey, DBLAZER, Not including axles, What would something like that run? Do you have any pics of the project you are working on?

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Your goals are easily achieved with leaf springs. Don't waste your time with coils.

8. 75K5

75K5 1/2 ton status

I am intrested in this conversion too...

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i dunno if i had the stuff right there..i would probobly do it..but to me its kind of a waist of time..but i guess its what you do that matters..what is the big advantage..just the ride? they they ever sag? i know dodge uses this kind of setup in there trucks..

10. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Well, I can think of a few good reasons.
    <font color="red">#1 The Flex </font color>
    Yes I understand that a leaf spring set up can really work. Mine has for years, really well. But I think I can get a little more twist out of the coils. You can always go to a longer spring, but that defeats the next point I have.

<font color="red">#2 Approach and departure angle. </font color>

You can only take off so much angle when the leaf springs have to stick out front and rear. You gotta have the frame there to mount them to.

<font color="red">#3 WHY BE NORMAL. </font color>

Well, this may come as a shock to some of the sheep around here, but it is OK to be different . It is OK to build your rig a little different from others. We don't have to build rig that looks like Steves, or built like Stepehn Watson. (Not that I am saying anything bad about there rigs, I love them both. They are very cool) I am just saying it is ok to want something different. And coils are a very cool UPGRADE.

Oh ya, with the fourlink set up axel wrap should be taken care of also.

11. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

By the way, as it stands now, we are not designing a bolt up kit for this. The set up we are running onmy rig is going to push the rear back and the front very forward. Without some major MAJOR reworking of the frame and body work, this setup will not work on a stock rig. We can build something for you if any of you like. Rocktek is located in Grapevine Texas. Anytime yall want to stop by and see some of the work going on in the garage drop me a line.

12. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

I foresee the possibility of making a bolt on rear kit, if there is enough interest. The biggest detering factor in the link and coilover suspension upgrade is COST! None of the parts are cheap. The coilover shocks alone cost around $600.00 each. Quality heim joints large enough to handle the job on the link arms are $50.00 each. Johnny joints cost $40.00. The big question is "Is it worth it?" For me "yes". I plan on having and wheeling my truck for many years to come. The ride quality is unbelievable( I drove it to Moab and back, 2300 miles round trip) and you have to work to get a tire to lift while wheeling. I did manage to lift a tire a few times in Moab. I also moved my front axle forward and the rear back so I now have a 110" wheel base.

13. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

I agree with ya. The heime joints we are running are 1.25"
    About 53 bucks a pop, the DOM tubing runs about 7.50 a foot. Not cheap. I am not runningthe coil ocers like you, I went with reguler coils, a little less expensive.