Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Leaf Springs Backwards ???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BettyBurb, Jan 16, 2003.

1. BettyBurb

BettyBurb Registered Member

I recently had the leaf springs on my Suburban re-arched. It looks like they may be installed improperly. On the front one leaf spring has the clip or clamp to the front on the other side the clip is to the rear. Also the end of the spring that does not have the clip, the two leaves wrap around the eye. The other end only the top leaf wraps. On the side with the clip the double wrap is nearly touching the frame. I am going in to have the owner of the shop look at it. Over the phone, he said he thinks there is a problem.

I decided to take a close look at the rear springs. Looks to me that there could be a problem there too. On one side the bottom piece that is separate from the rest of the springs extends 10.5 inches to the rear and 12 inches to the front. Reversed on the other side.

It looks like one of the rear springs may have been reversed too.

Does anybody know what is correct here, so that I will know when I go in to the shop???

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I have no idea what side is the right side but if it were me, I would see which one is more convenient to me and change the other to match.

3. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    You can't really install the front springs backwards,the front eyelets are very large compared to the rears.The rears,if they are 52" are the same(I think?),but the 56" are 4" longer in the rear.

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

You obviously didn't read his story through.
    He has them rearchd and usually that means taking the leaves apart and pounding each leave seperately, then putting it back together, so it's possible they put leaves backwards.
    It hapened to me once and I just took them appart and reassembled them correctly.

5. BettyBurb

The front springs are definitely reversed. I am sure the rears are messed up too.

The rear overload leaf on the bottom is definitely installed differently on each side. The driver side has 10.5 inches of leaf extending to the rear and about 12 inches to front of the u-bolt mounting plate. The other side is reversed.

Does anybody know if the long (12 inch) should be going to the front or to the rear.

6. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Yeah, the axles should be on the front part of the curve of the spring (built in to reduce wheel hop under acceleration). If one side has 12 in the front and the other has 10, there is a problem. Does it drive OK? seems like it would track or pull really bad? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

7. BettyBurb

It does drive real good. But maybe it can drive even better, once the springs are right.

8. BettyBurb

So, I would think that the longer portion of the overload spring should be to the rear. Is that right ???

9. wfo163

wfo163 1/2 ton status

Yes the longer portion of the spring goes rearward.