Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

leak diagnosed... almost.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by KGsK5, Sep 24, 2006.

1. KGsK5

KGsK5 1/2 ton status

it just started raining here pretty badly so i decided to go out and find out how bad my blazer really does leak and where from. it appears that i have fixed the leak in the roof :laugh: . my tailgate still leaks. it looks like it is running down my rear windshield and into my tailgate and then into my truck :mad: . will this weather stripping fix that? http://www.classicparts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=01-838

or do i need the tailgate to body seal?

thanks

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

My opinion of your problem is that it probably won't cure that issue...any water that gets in at the base of the glass *should* simply drip to the bottom of the tailgate and make its way out the drainage holes. (assuming they aren't plugged, check that)

You may need the bedrail seals, that run the full length of the top and seal the ends to the tailgate. If your side panels are still in place, pull them, and watch next time it rains for the telltale water runs. Even if it's dry, you will probably see rust or water stains if it IS leaking in the corners, or anywhere else.

I'd say the tailgate one wouldn't hurt to replace, especially if hard and compressed, but you can always try some silicone spray on it, and see if that softens it up enough to seal better.

Not at my truck now, but I *think* the tailgate seal shouldn't do much work keeping water out if the bedrail seal is in good shape.

Go with GM seals, I believe all you and I have mentioned are available from GM still. Only one I know isn't is the one that seals the glass to the top.

3. KGsK5

KGsK5 1/2 ton status

i took off the access door today on the inside of the tailgate and the water was definitively coming in from teh top of the gate where the glass comes out. ill check my drainage holes but it looked like it was running down one of the bars that pushes the window up and being slung onto the side of the tailgate and dripping into the truck.