Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

leak from driveshaft??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by personaltrainer, Mar 30, 2005.

1. personaltrainer

personaltrainer 1/2 ton status

I have a leak at the output of my t-case (208), i have replaced the seal and it still leaks. Thought the driveshaft needed to be lengthened but after pulling it, it seems to be plenty long enough. How to i stop the trans fluid from flying all over the underside of the truck? any ideas on how to remedy the leak? thanks in advance.....

2. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Which output?

3. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

My thought is you might need a different seal. If the seal is tight enough around the d-shaft, it shouldn't be leaking.

Also, where exactly is it leaking from? Is it between the seal & shaft, or somewhere's else?

4. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Isnt there a small vent hole on the end of the slipshaft right by the U-Joint? it could be leaking from there.

5. stock93

stock93 Registered Member

Did you replace the bushing in the tailhousing? Its the one right behind that seal. If not and its worn out a new seal will go bad quickly. Make sure its not leaking in between the seal and the tailhousing as well.

John

6. personaltrainer

Did not replace the bushing - I was thinking that could be the culprit. It seems to be leaking from around the seal and I thought that the drive shaft was too short and not making a connection to the bushing but it seems to be pretty damn long in there. I guess the bushing will be the next try. Thanks

7. bnc04

bnc04 Guest

Another place to look is where the tail of the slip yoke shaft is pressed onto the actual yoke. I had this happen and it drove me crazy trying to find where it was leaking. I finally pulled the slipyoke out and filled the backside of it full of tranny fluid.. After setting it upright, fluid started to weep around the seam where the yoke of the slipyoke was pressed onto the shaft of the slipyoke,, I hope this didnt confuse you .. It did me and I know what I was trying to say.
    Brett

8. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

I just want to try to clarify what he just said. The slip yoke part of the driveshaft that goes into the t-case has a freeze out plug looking thing on the end opposite of the hole with the splines. Fluid will leak out of that part of the yoke. Use brake cleaner or some kind of degreaser and clean up the whole area so it all looks dry, and then drive for a little and get out and look to see exactly where the fluid is coming from. I had the same prob. I don't know of any way to change this plug thing, but I have seen guys just put a coat of silicone over the whole thing, but the best fix is to just put on a new yoke. If you need one let me know. I have an extra somewhere in my garage.

9. personaltrainer

thanks man. I'll get into it later. I have SO MANY projects going on with it right now that I need to focus. Gotta get several other things under control first. If I need a new yoke I'll let you know. Thanks.