Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

leak / pinion stem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mccomas, Nov 28, 2003.

1. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

i have a class one leak on the front side of my rear differential where these 6 bolts mate to the differential housing. what is involved in replacing this gasket - does the pinion stem slide out like a slip yoke once i remove the 6 bolts or do i have to remove the pinion nut? if i do have to remove the pinion nut and companion flange, what is the process?

[​IMG]

2. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

There is no seal that goes between the pinion housing and diff housing. There is however, a shim that sets the pinion depth. You can remove the 6 bolts and pull the pinion gear and housing out as a unit. Inspect both surfaces for nicks or corrosion. Then you can use gasket sealer or silicone on both sides of that shim to seal it up. Make sure that anything you apply to the shim doesn't move the pinion assembly further away from the diff housing. Apply a thin coat and and tighten the bolts to 45 ft/lbs. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    i have a class one leak

[/ QUOTE ]

Man this guy has done one too many PMCS inspections. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif