Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Leak Prevention and Ease of Use

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazintweety, Jul 22, 2003.

1. blazintweety

blazintweety Registered Member

Hey... I'm new to the board and the Blazer world and I was wondering what kind of maintenance y'all recommend for the hardtop to prevent leaks (I've heard it can be a problem). Also, have any of you found a "quick release" system for the hardtop that's secure?

Here's a couple pics of my ride

Thanks in advance for your advice!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Looks nice! I don't think the hardtops leaking is a real problem. I've had my hardtop off & on a couple of times and haven't really done anything to it. I run a soft top in the summer. To remove the top, there should be an electrical connector on the driver's side for the lights. Disconnect that. You need a special bit for the hardtop bolts and I cannot remember where I got that. I think Auto Zone might have them. I bought new regular bolts to put it back on. There are 2 hidden bolts that go from under the bed rails up, near the rear of the vehicle. One on each side. Once those are all done, stand up inside of it and you will "pop" it off the seals (I use my back). This might help you, too http://www.polariswebdesign.com/trucktop.htm . Have fun! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

If the top has never come off then the seal will probably tear, so I would have a replacement seal ready to go. You can get them at LMC Truck. Once you slap it back on just tighten the cab bolts first then tighten the bedside bolts and it won't leak. BTW I only use about 6-8 bolts to hold it on, you don't need all of them(especially those "security" bolts in the back).

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Our 79 started to leak. The outer seal was the cluprit. Sun had dried it out and the truck had been repainted. WHen it was repainted the seal got painted to the cab and tore when the truck was flexing off road.
    Still available at the dealer last year. $46 and had it in two days. When you figure in the shipping cost to buy it from LMC its about the same as picking it up local.

5. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    have any of you found a "quick release" system for the hardtop that's secure?

[/ QUOTE ]
    I don't think anyone's mentioned one. You could probably find knobs that would fit for the bedside so you could remove them without tools, but I haven't found knobs with bolts large enough to handle the cab seal. IMHO I don't think that anything other than a bolt type fastening system would be a good idea.

Looked at your pics. The odd shaped nut on the door striker bolt was what was on it when removed? How does that piece fit into that hole?

6. blazintweety

blazintweety Registered Member

Thanks for all the words of wisdom from everyone. I'm not sure if the top has ever come off before, but at least I have an idea of what to expect when the time comes. Hadn't thought about it tearing or anything. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

As for the strike bolts... the area around them got stressed and rusted while still with the previous owner and the one on the driver's side gave way the other day (hence the bolt in my hubby's hand). I'll be taking it into the body shop once I get the transfer case and tranny rebuilt (should be this weekend) so it can be repaired.