Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Leaking 208 case seal.....Hard to fix?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Can Can, Mar 7, 2002.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I was under the truck last night doing an oil change and noticed that I have recently developed a leak at the seal between the two sections of the case on my 208. It looks like a pretty simple job to drop the TC, but what awaits me when I split the 208 in two pieces to redo the seal? The pics in my Haynes manual don't really make that much sense to me(maybe they would once I started/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif).

What are my options for the seal? Do you guys use RTV or is there a gasket available from GM?

2. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Two years ago when mine was split, I used RTV (red) and it never leaked until a while back when I cracked the center section pretty bad.

White Knight (Texas and orginal)

3. Can Can

Soooooooooo........what's all involved with taking the case apart to redo the seal? I'm not that worried about the R&R work involved, just the TC itself.

4. Russell Keys

Russell Keys 1/2 ton status

A while back we rebuilt a 208 in my buddy's bronco. I remember when we split the case needle bearings came out for days. Luckily the Chilton manual we used had the number of bearings we needed. I dont believe there is a retainer for the bearings, I think they ride on the other half of the case, so we used vaseline to hold them in place till we got it bolted back together. Mine was leaking where the two halves meet too. I drained the fluid and applied a heavy bead of silicone around the case and it has held off leaking for about six months.

5. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

look at my pics page , it should help some and i am the 208 xpert it seems around here .......

6. TXBIGFISH

TXBIGFISH 1/2 ton status

If you need a really good exploded view of the transfer case go to your local library and look for the Motor Manual for your truck. It is like a Chiltons or Haynes but way better. Run a copy and keep it in your other manual. When I rebuilt mine I needed a good exploded diagram and that is where I found it.
    I don't have it with me right now but I can scan it and send it to you at a later date.

7. Can Can

That would be great!!!! Thanks......

Does anybody have any idea how long of a job it is to dismantle the case, do the seal, and put the TC back togther? I'm expecting the R&R to take about 2-3 hours.....

8. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

that sounds right