Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

leaking 700R4

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ghenshaw, Jul 2, 2001.

1. ghenshaw

ghenshaw Newbie

came back from a road trip last night and transmission was leaking pretty bad. got underneath it and found that the pan bolts were a little loose. i just changed the filter and gasket a couple days ago. so i torqued the bolts to the specs and ran the engine to see if it was fixed. i also had the flex plate cover off to look at things there. tranny fluid was spinning off the torque convertor. i thought it could be left over fluid from the leak the night before but after driving it around, fluid still spins off the convertor and drips off when stopped. now there is a lot less fluid dripping than before i tightened the pan bolts but something is still going on i think. so......
    - could it be the front seal on the transmission
    - bad convertor (only 6 months old....but makes a fluttering noise when first accelerating.) done that for a while.
    any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

Sounds like the front seal has gone. Now you have to pull the trans out to fix it. I am not sure if a trans shop can get a torque converter tested? Never had to do it. When you replace the old seal with a new one put some rtv aound the outside of the metal part of the sleeve before you put it in. What this does is seal any imperfections in the area where the metal part of the seal installs in the trans housing. I do not like putting seal conditioner in a good trans. I have seen too many problems with junk in a can that is susposed to work. I had a leaky seal like that and my buddy borrowed my car for a few weeks when his was getting body work done. He saw the trans had a slight leak and poured some of that crap in my trans and it fried two days later on his way to pick up his fixed car. Guess what it cost him another 1500.00 to now fix my car.