Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Leaking axle

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stock93, Mar 3, 2004.

1. stock93

stock93 Registered Member

I have an 83 K10 4x4 with 36in buckshots. I have been going across some pretty deep water with it. I walked out to my driveway today and noticed gear oil with water in it leaking out of the drivers side front axle. I drained the fluid and it was way to high due to water getting in the differential. It only leaked maybe a 2"x12" spot of gear oil/water out of the end of the axle onto the ground. It has been parked for over a week. Would this be due to the higher gear oil level or should I replace the seal? If I do have to replace the seal, I have to pull the whole axle shaft out of that side correct? Do I have to pull the differential? I'm pretty sure the water got in through my vent line. I'm pretty sure the axle is a corp 10 bolt.

Thanks,
    John

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I would try changing out the fluid first and see if it leaks again. If it does then the inner seals need to be replaced <<<---read not fun /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif If it gets in through your vent hose try routing it up into the engine compartment near the radiator cap or somewhere higher /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

i agree with the previous post, but since you got that much water in the diff, i would recomend tearing into your wheel bearings, as they too are probably water logged.

4. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

You'll have to pull both axles. Unfortunately, you can't pull one side. Some guys use marine grease when they repack the bearings too. I guess it repells water better than anyother grease. Have fun! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

5. bugspray

bugspray 1/2 ton status

I sheared an axle shaft. I'm replacing the seals while at though also. I have everything apart right now. So far it wasn't that bad. After I get everything put back together, I'll know for sure how hard it is.

6. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

There ain't much room to swing a hammer to drive the seal in. Getting it in there flat without screwing up the seal casing is a pain in the butt. It is possible in the dark though. The rest is cake.