Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Leaking Brake Proportioning Valve

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mountainexplorer, Aug 6, 2004.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Do brake proportioning valves just start leaking? Or would it have to be one of the fittings into it?

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I've never seen or heard of the prop valve leaking(but it could be possible)prolly just the hard line fitting.

3. mountainexplorer

It seems to be coming from a fitting that points towards the pass. side of the truck, and has a line in the end of it. I pulled the fitting out, replaced an O-ring, put teflon tape on all the threads and put it back together, and it still leaked.

There is a little spot in that fitting that has rubber or something down in it... seems to be leaking from that. Hard to describe it.

4. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Is it a "O-ring" or a double flare fitting? I had a double flare line crack at the seat on a '85 F350. I cut the end off and reflared the line and solved the problem. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. mountainexplorer

The fitting I took off had an O ring. The little spot on it that looked like it had a rubber seal in it I think is my problem. I popped a little clip out and this little round rubber "gasket" of sorts was there on top of a pin hole. I'm thinking that the brake fluid was seeping through the pinhole and out around the rubber seal/gasket.

I wonder if its some sort of pressure release valve. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif