Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Leaking from rear drum

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 454k30, Nov 6, 2006.

1. 454k30

454k30 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hey guys more brake issues from my 14bff. I havent driven the thing in a week and today there was a 12 inch diameter wet spot next to the right rear tire. Upon inspecting the brake drum I found brake fluid seeping from between the drum and the back plate suggesting something has failed internally. Other side of the axle seems fine. What has most likely failed in here and how hard is it to replace? Thanks guys!

2. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Most likely a wheel cylinder has given up the ghost. Not a big deal to change but chances are it's fouled your brake shoes, so they should be replaced as well.
    The wheel cylinder itself is only two bolts and a steel line. Be careful with the steel line, as the line nuts like to rust themselves to the line and you'll twist the end of the line right off. If you start to turn the line nut and the whole line turns, stop. Remove the two wheel cylinder bolts, gently pull it away from the backing plate and then "unscrew" the wheel cylinder from the line.

Oh, and make sure that it is definitely brake fluid and not gear lube (You can tel by the smell). If it's gear lube, you've blown an axle seal.

3. 454k30

your right, but this is certainly not gear lube! Far to clear for and thin for that. I am glad to hear that this is not a big deal. are these cylinders something i can pick up at the local napa or somewhere?

4. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Yep. All parts stores carry wheel cylinders and most have a lifetime warranty.

Take the old one off before you go to the store so you know if you've fouled your shoes or if you need to buy a new steel line.

5. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

If it is a wheel cylinder, your brake pedal will be very soft, probably go all the way to the floor.:doah:

6. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

If there's brake fluid coming from inside the drum, there's nothing else it could possibly be.

7. 454k30

I havent taken the wheels of yet, but do you guys know if I will have to pull the whole hub off or will the drum come off on its own? its an original 1983 14bff. Wow shoes are almost $100, well its time for new ones anyway.

8. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

It sound like a perfect time to start looking into disc's

9. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Agreed. You can get caliper brackets for $45, calipers for $18 each, pads for $20 or less and rubber lines for maybe $15 each.

And yes, the whole hub has to come off to remove the drum.

edit: Where the hell are you looking for brake shoes?? The lifetime warranty ones from Autozone are only $18.99 ($21.99 with JB7) with no core charge. Wheel cylinders are only $9.99 ($11.99 with JB7) and a hardware kit is only $6.99 ($7.99 with JB7).

You can replace the entire braking system except for the drums for $54 plus tax or less.

10. 454k30

That was the price at the Kragen here in town. Wheel cylinder was 13.99 but the shoes do seem to be priced really high. I wonder what the huge price discrepancy is due too.

11. Insomnya3AM

Insomnya3AM Registered Member

What came from the factory with rear discs on that axle? Maybe I should run a search but harassing you is cool too. :wink1:

12. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

It's not factory. It's an aftermarket setup that uses regular front calipers.
    Looky:
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173137

13. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

I dunno but it's really bizarre. Maybe he was quoting you a price on a drum??

Check some other stores in the area or you can just order them online from Autozone and be done with it.

14. jamber2541

jamber2541 1/2 ton status

might want to check a wrecking yard, when I scored my 14bff it had brand new everything including drums and shoes and I got it for peanuts