Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Leaking fuel and steering pump

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 84CUCV, Aug 1, 2002.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I have no idea where the heck it is coming from!!! I don't think that the gaskets or the part are worn out. This truck has 14000 Miles on it. Could it go bad from sitting? If I need to replace it where is a good place to by it from?? The front cover also has a lot of thick crap on it does that mean that gasket is bad to? Thanks for the help! Mike

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I don't want to sound rude, but your post doesn't make much sense. What exactly is leaking? Is it fuel or PS fluid? You say that you don't know where it's coming from, but where exactly are you seeing the fluid? And what "part" are you talking about? The "front cover" of what?

Sorry for all the questions, but if you could repost a better explanation of what the problem is, I'm sure we'd be able to help you more, brother /forums/images/icons/smile.gif.

3. 84CUCV

I did some work on my truck and I was hooking back up some fuel lines and I realized the bottom of PS and fuel pump were all wet. I could not find where it was coming from. It is just becoming a PIA now every time I look there is something else to fix!!!!!! Thanks for the help Mike

4. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

What kind of fluid? If fuel around fuel pump, check your hoses for cracks and your hose clamps, or if all those good then I would say replace youre fuel pump. How wet? Droplets, puddle.

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I hate to say this, but you may have a problem with your injector pump. The Stanadyne pumps our trucks use are well known for failing at the throttle shaft seal. If that's the case, a rebuild is in order, and it's a pretty costly job unless you can do the work yourself(which I don't recommend unless you are qualified). The good news is that generally an injection pump leak will flow down along the intake towards the firewall, down the back of the block and show up as a leak from the flywheel cover drain hole.

Start your truck, and shine a flashlight on the driver's side of the injection pump with the air filter off. If you have a bad seal, diesel fuel will be leaking from where the throttle shaft(which is connected to the throttle cable) enters the pump.

I'll take a look at my truck tomorrow and see if there's anywhere else a similar fluid leak can be coming from. The only thing that confuses me is that the power steering pump and fuel pump are on opposing sides of the motor(unless you're referring to your injection pump as your fuel pump). Maybe it's two problems. It kinda sounds like you might have a PS pump/line leak AND a fuel pump leak.

If you have any updates, let me know, brother./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

6. 84CUCV

No Tybee it is not wet or droplets. Just looks moist in that area. The hoses are all new. The injector pump has about 300 miles on it the lines where leaking a bit. CanmoreK5, it is two problems. Now the PS pump it is wet and it is dropping fluid is there a seal it there to go bad or what?? Thanks for the help guys. Mike

7. civicucv

civicucv Registered Member

I noticed on my rig, that the previous owner had pried against the valve cover to tighten the ac compressor belt. The cover is dented from doing so, and also the diesel return line from the forward cylinder was damaged. At first, I just noticed a little diesel blown back on the left side of the engine, then with more time, the split in the return line grew to the point where I began noticing fuel on the ground. At no time did the fuel system lose prime. I replaced the return line (dirt cheap) and am careful to loosen ALL adjustments when tightening the compressor belt. Could this be one of your problems? How's the level in your PS reservoir?

8. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Canmore, it "might" not need to be rebuilt. Apparently the throttle shaft seal isn't that hard to replace. I remember reading a piece on the DP about it. I don't think you even need to remove the injector pump to do it. Although I could be wrong; I haven't performed this fix yet. As luck would have it, the last 6.2 (CUCV) that we found leaking got a rebuilt pump DAYS before I read about this repair. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

I guess available funds and total mileage might dictate the repair.