Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

leaking fuel

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by bigfancyname, May 28, 2006.

1. bigfancyname

bigfancyname Registered Member

LONG POST SORRY,

84 Suburban, 6.5 GM Goodwrench block, Banks Sidwinderkit.

Im dripping fuel from my engine crosssmember, Started pretty recently but is getting worse fast. I also had a harder time than normal starting it up in the cold this weekend Pretty sure its the injection pump(Unless someone has any other ideas)... What are the options for injection pumps. Are there better ones, Is buying one off ebay a bad gamble(If not what should I look for), Average price of one. I dont really have time to work on this, nor am I shure that my abilities are up to par for this. Anyone around Ogden, UT, know of a good shop to have work done at that will know about this motor and do a good job.

Now for my other ? It doesent have a boost guage but I do have a EGT guage(I am going to get a boost when $$ allows, everything is breaking left and right nickel and dimeing me right now). What is the highest temp I should let it hit. On hills it climbs pretty easily to 10-11 and I back out under 12 but I would like to know what is the highest it should go. I dont get any black smoke that Ive seen (and I try to watch) even with the 20 ft travel trailer behind it. Ive thought it might be due to lack of fuel and was going to have the pump looked at and have it timed (Ive heard timeing and fuel affects EGTs) but with the leaking problem now I have to.

Ok, sorry for the rambling and long post, still new to all things diesel and thanx in advance to the diesel gods for any info.:bow:

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Fuel leaks as you describe usually come from a few places, and I've experienced them all. The first place to look is at your mechanical lift pump, but generally it's obvious when it's leaking. From there, follow the fuel line up to the injection pump. You may be lucky and find it somewhere there.

But if I was a betting man, I'd say the source of your leak is from the throttle shaft in your injection pump. It's been a while, but IIRC, you can watch the fuel drip from midway down the driver's side of the injection pump with the engine running. The fuel will pool in the valley of intake and run down the back or front of the motor.

FWIW, I ended up getting a local shop to install a rebuilt pump. The total cost was around $1100, but that was about 5 years ago, and in Canadian dollars.

Hope that helps, brother.

3. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

IIRC, 1100*F is the highest EGT you want to see with a turbo'd 6.2 or 6.5.

4. bigfancyname

bigfancyname Registered Member

Thanx for the replys guys, I am going to have to climb under there when i get time and really look at it to make shure.

5. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

check kennedy diesel: http://kennedydiesel.com/. is the 6.5 something you put in aftermarket? i didn't think you could get a 6.5 stock til a bit later on. make sure you know whatcha got. when i had a bad leak from my injector pump on my 6.2, i found that it all poured off the back of the block, coming down the tranny. b/c of the way the engine valley sits, i don't think it would easily run down the front of the engine. check the fuel return lines (little rubber hoses which go from injector to injector), the injectors themselves, and the place where the fuel line connects to the injector (there are small copper gaskets inside the fitting which actually screws onto the injector - should these go bad, you will get a leak and decreased compression. it's not that big of a job to replace an injector - just about an afternoon's work. maybe a day. it's a relatively big project as you have to take off the timing cover to unbolt it from the timing gear. make sure you line up the timing gear properly! it sux to have to redo it once you think it's done (i know first hand!) you'll probably need new intake manifold gaskets. i used rtv on my timing cover, so you may or may not need a gasket for that. sorry for the book.