Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Leaking hoses hmm...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by oneofthefewbmx, Apr 11, 2006.

1. oneofthefewbmx

oneofthefewbmx 1/2 ton status

hey guys, i dunno if any of you have messed w/ a EFI 2.8 V6 chevy but apparently my brother's is leaking antifreeze from the lines that run to the throttle body. we thought it was the dry rotted hoses so we changed them...but it is still leaking, im thinking it might actually be like somthing stuck in the passages in the throttle body, or possibly a crack somewhere...either way i was just goin to bypass the throttle body and connect the two lines togeter (leaving the throttle body out of the loop). BUT i guess someone told my brother that the coolant doesnt just run through the throttle body but also through the aluminum intake deal to keep it cool and if we bypass the TB then we are bypassing the intake, so the intake is goin to melt and the motor is goin to blow up and the world is goin to turn inside out and heaven is goin to fall from the sky...anyway my question is this "does coolant REALLY flow from the TB through the intake....and if it doesnt, would it be okay to bypass all this BS?? any help is appreaciated...thanks a bunch....-mikkie P.S. oh by the way this is an 89 comaro w/ a 2.8L V6 fuel injected...sorry

2. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

it should be fine if you bypass the throttle body. the coolant only flows through there to heat up the intake a little. may help the throttle blades from icing under certain conditions. probably also helps with carbon formation in the throttle body too.

but, performance guys have been bypassing throttle body coolant lines for a long time, and have never heard of them developing problems. i say do it.

3. oneofthefewbmx

oneofthefewbmx 1/2 ton status

im sold...thank alot

4. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

if that does not solve your problem check your intake gaskets, on the 2.8 they have a really common problem with the intake gaskets going bad