Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

leaking like the titanic

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Aug 3, 2005.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

I am starting to think that my suburban was one of the worst investments of my life (I may try to sell the thing)................ I drained the 203 the other night (it only had like 1/2 quart of ATF) and I relfilled it to the brim with 4 quarts of motor oil. Now the thing is loosing oil quickly. Just parked for a day it has bled tons........ I see oil dripping off of the little plate that the front driveshaft bolts to.... I wonder where its leaking and if there's anything I can do to fix it?????????????? I also noticed the rear 14ff looked a little juicy under where the rear driveshaft bolts to it, so it may have a leak as well. Should I try to use my incompetent skills to fix up the ol truck, or should I just try to get my $1000 back out of it??????

2. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Did it have ATF in it before? I hear that's a no no. A front output seal is a piece of cake, do it yourself. Probably only be $6 for the seal. The 14bolt is probably moist from the 203 leaking and air picking it up and depositing it on the pumpkin. Just keep an eye on the level. Better yet, repair the 203 leak and power blast and degrease the whole underside to make sure that's not the only leak. You're gonna have to put money into these things, and for $1,000, it's bound to have a leak. Don't give up so easy!

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Just as a "hope you get lucky", check that any vents aren't plugged.

Check also that the case isn't overfilled NOW, as in the seals between tranny/t-case might have failed. When my 205 was overfull, it started pushing fluid out around both output seals, but once the fluid was back to normal levels, the leaking went away.

4. 78Suburban

I just filled it to the top of the fill plug, it took 4 quarts. ist that overfilled? I'm not sure it its my front seal or not, there is oil everywhere on this thing.

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I had the same problem on my 203. I replaced the seal with a brand new seal and it still leaked. The problem was with the piece that bolted to the driveshaft had a groove cut into it over the years of the seal riding on it. I put a speedi-sleeve on it and with the new seal, didn't leak a bit (compared to pissing out before). I think it was $17 for the seal and sleeve. FWIW.

6. BigCountryx

BigCountryx 1/2 ton status

1st mistake......... thinking that the burb was an investment :doah:

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Only experience I have on this is with my 205, but when the seal between the transmission and transfercase fails, it fills up the transfercase.

I guess you could check fluid levels in the trans too, if low now and not before, that would be an indication of a leak. It seems to be somewhat common on these setups, as far as "problems" go.

As to grooves in the seal surfaces, on my 205, I just didn't press the seal in quite as far as original, thus a new surface for the seal to ride on.

I'd have loved to use speedi-sleeves, but all of them I've seen are outrageously expensive for what they are, or at least I think so. :) (are they really only $17 for those applications??) Cheaper than new yokes though of course.

8. 78Suburban

I have no idea what a speedi sleeve is. Could someone give me the step by step for idiots on how to replace the front output seal??????? what are some other common problem areas that could be leaking (I think it might be leaking around the spedo cable as well)???????????? please keep the advise coming, because I have absolutely no idea how to get to or replace any kind of seal.. :bow: :bow: :bow:

9. 78Suburban

Wonderful!!!!

Here's some great news to add to the mix........... I went out to look at the burban and not only has it dropped a huge puddle of oil from the 203, but now a good bit of blood red ATF is dripping off of the t-case........... I would rather be shot than to get into lowering the tranny and t-case out of the truck.... What should I do??? Do yall think this truck would bring $1000?? :eek1:

10. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

The seals are only cheap. The labour is not to intense. Hey mine is like a tea bag aswell. I know the feeling. But don't sweat it.

11. 78Suburban

will I have to remove the whole transfer case and transmission? Which seal would cause ATF to get into my transfer case, and for the oil to leak out of my transfercase? could it all be the same seal............ I saw oil around the front output shaft, but oil is everywhere........ I'm not really sure which seal is leaking. any ideas on what seal is causeing the loss of oil AND ATF??
    thanks,
    James

12. gambit420s

gambit420s 1/2 ton status

i would clean it real well and look for the leak, it will be easier to see without years of crap on it, you might want to call "Georgia gabe" hes in GA and runs a shop. he could probably help you out, if youre close.
    he has a site here

13. 78Suburban

A local tranny shop quoted me $150 to replace the seal between the tranny and the T-case. Is this a decent price? I don't have any problem paying this if it will stop all that leaking.

14. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

That's not a very bad price, I've seen worse...that 203 is heavy

15. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

Post a picture of it :D :D

16. 78Suburban

I can't post pics, I still haven't gotten the money to become a member :(
    If I had the tools and talent, I could fix the seal, but 1 or 2 garage jacks sounds like a good way to get my skinny butt mashed.... I think I leave this one to the pros..... I hope they actually stop it from leaking.........

I am going to try to make it limp 15 miles into town with nothin much in the t-case, because the previous owners have obviously been running it like that for quite some time....... I think I'll take the risk, check the atf level in the tranny, and go driving in about an hour................... I'll let yall know what I blow up after I get back from town ;)

17. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

What town?

18. 78Suburban

thomaston

19. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

was going to ask where you were but i see thomaston (sp). South of griffin, right? If you have your camera you can e-mail one of us the pics to post i reckon and we may be able to see. I don't think a grand sounds bad but i have not seen the body. Does it have a dana44 front and what kind of gears? I know where there may be a 77 k20 350/sm465/205/44/14 that sold to the last couple owners for 1500 and the body is straight but lots of cancer. Clean up under it and look for the leak it just takes some time. If you do not have to be in a hurry then take your time and make this a good learning experience.

20. 78Suburban

I would like to learn how, but with my tools and talent, I swear I think I will either get hurt or tear something up........ I think I will ask the tranny guy if he will let me watch him make the repair........it has the body is straight, with some rust on the rocker pannels and a fender or two, 3.73 gears and a 10 bolt front, 14ff rear. th400 tranny, and a np203 t-case.......... It's tempting to sell it, but I don't want to to give up and be a quitter, and I feel bad about shafting anyone like the PO's did to me..... I would be very tempted to trade it for someting with a shorter wheel base, because I am kinda dubious as to how the old school bus is gonna perform off road........

Am I on drugs to drive the ol girl 15 miles with a basically empty t-case?, I am almost positve that the previous owners drove it for a very long time with basically nothing in the tcase. (it was only like 1/2 quart or less of ATF when I drained the tcase..... the tranny is leaking into the t'case, so maybe that has provided a very slight ammont of lubrication :p: ........................... well I am going to make my adventurous treck tomorrow morning.... I really hope this guy can fix it......