Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Leaking NP241?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Shagnaz, Dec 10, 2003.

1. Shagnaz

Shagnaz 1/2 ton status

Does anyone know where the post is for the leaking NP241?
    OR
    Does anyone know how to fix a leaking slip yoke.
    I've put over 5 seals in mine and it still leaks bad.
    Please help.

Thanks
    Mike B /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Mine leaked like a siv and I had the t-case totally rebuilt, now it doesn't leak a drop. Don't know what else to do. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

3. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Replace the bronze/brass bushings in the tailhousing. Normally if these are wore it will let enough slop in the yoke to knock out the seals.

4. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Is that a hard job to replace the bushing? My boss at the shop said he didnt want to touch it but thats prob just cause he's lazy. How much does a rebuild typically cost?

5. Shagnaz

Shagnaz 1/2 ton status

Could too much drive shaft angle do something also.
    When I remove my rear shaft, I have to use a dead blow hammer to get it to slide out and then do the same to get it back in along the way.
    Am I able to buy the bushing from a parts dep.?
    About how much?

Thanks
    Mike B

6. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

No, it should be an easy job. Take the drive shaft out, take out the 4 bolts holding the housing onto the case, drive the old bushings out with a punch, buy new bushings and seal, drive new bushings and seal back in(be careful not to damage the bushings), silicone the mating surface of the case and output housing, put bolts and driveshaft back in. Make sure you have enough tranny fluid in the case and your good to go.

7. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

You are kidding right?!?
    If your yoke doesn't slide freely, you have other issues. I run 9" of lift and ran a slip yoke CV for a while with no problems(now I have a SYE). You should be able to buy them online somewhere. I would think the bushings shouldn't be more than $5 each. I lost my hard drive and all my farvorites, so I don't have a link for the places that carry the rebuild kits. I am sure they sell the bushings seperatly.

8. Shagnaz

Shagnaz 1/2 ton status

No kidding. I bought a new slip yoke b/c I busted the ears off at Wind Rock, Tn going up a steep hill with stair step in the middle. I believe axle wrap was the cause of it.
    I am going to a parts store after work today to see if I can find that bushing and buy another seal.
    I want to go to a SYE, but a doubler is in the works.
    Thanks
    Mike B /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

dude... i hope it all turns out ok... i threw a shaft on the freeway once, the yolk from the drive shaft was stuck in the housing still but the shaft broke off... so i replaced the drive shaft (The whole time i had a leak also like you are drscribing) had to hammer the old one out and the new one in (actually i loostened the slip yolk housing too then tightened it up again) then not even 50 miles later i threw my brand new shaft and it toasted my t-case. i had to get a new t-case from a member here, while taking mine off, i realized my whole rear housing on the tail shaft had 3 of the 4 bolt holes cracked and leaking.. dont know if this has anyting to do with you, just an FYI. Good luck

10. Orange Crush

Orange Crush 1/2 ton status Premium Member

did you get this problem fixed? My Burb's driveshaft moves a little side to side at the tailshaft but isnt leaking . I think i may be getting a little driveline vibration from it. I went to the dealership today and ordered the brass bushings and seal. will see if this cures my problem. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif