Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

leaking oil cooler

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BPS, Aug 29, 2001.

1. BPS

BPS Registered Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I've got a leaking oil cooler - about a quart a month.

I believe it's leaking at the cooling fins - I have not removed it yet as it is my only ride and i don't want to strand myself.

1.are these fixable or do I have to buy another cooler?

2. Any recommendations on brand of cooler?

3. do these coolers actually work or should I just remove the old one and somehow connect lines without the cooler. Is there an easy way to do this?

1990 K5 with chalet type camper
    4 inch lift, 33x12.5 tires
  2. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

May 29, 2001
    your talken about crank case oil right. well i had the same problem on my 74 and GM doesn't sell them coolers no mo. this is what i had to do, went to local dealer a bought little thingee to connect an oil filter strait to the block. it's the little thingee you screw the filter onto the install is very easy. first you must remove the cooler attachment from the block it's the thing with the lines come'n out of it to the cooler, it's attached with two allen bolts then take the new filter attachment and attach it with two new shorter allen bolts with lock washer you got from you local ace hardware. this will keep you on the road and bypass that leaky cooler. now to fix the cooler go to summitracing.com and order a B&M super cooler with 1/2 NPT fitting part#bmm70266 and you will have to get some adapter fiting from ace and you have to make some new brackets for it but it works like a champ. I learned all this from this site just look up my posts it was the first post i ever made. if you go this route and have trouble finding the adapter fitting to attach your cooler lines to the B&M cooler send me a PM and i can getum and ship then to ya, I live down the street from the largest ace hardware in the southeast and they have almost every fitting ever made.