Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Leaking Oil Need Help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Hossbaby50, May 17, 2002.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Ok, I am leaking oil from the back passenger side of the motor. I don't know where it is coming from. It is dripping down the back of the motor and is covering the starter tranny shield, tranny cooler lines, etc.

At first I thought it was the tranny, but the oil is brown and clean (fairly) and I just changed my oil. I don't know if the oil is coming from the valve cover gasket, or where. Where else could it be coming from?

I did pull the distributor out 2 days ago, but I would think that would leak more down the middle of the engine and not more toward the passenger side. Any help is appreciated.

Also if it is the Distributor what is the best way to get that to seal. Mine just had the factory style gasket. Is there a certain way to seat them so they seal? Thanks

Harley

2. smartpatrol

smartpatrol Registered Member

I would place my bet on the valve cover gasket personally its the least amount of trouble to replace those gaskets.

3. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

So that oil spot in the driveway is from you /forums/images/icons/wink.gif I thought my moms car started leaking. I would check the dist. if you didnt replace the gasket when you pulled it. Next would be the velve covers, then last the intake. BTW does the truck pull at all, or is it close?

Dan

4. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

i would say the distributor or the valve cover gasket.
    the "o" ring gasket on the dist. dries out and gets brittle.
    its always a good idea to replace it whenever you pull
    the distributor. the valve cover gaskets are easy to replace.

5. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Clean off the oil under and around the valve cover with some castrol driveway cleaner or some similar de greaser and then start the truck up, it shouldn't take long for the leak to show up if it is coming from the cover.

6. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Before degreasing, you could reach up (or down) and feel the back side of the head. If it is slick then it is most likely the valve cover gasket. Fairly easy to change out. Shouldn't take too long.

7. Hossbaby50

Ya, the oil spot is mine. I didn't even realize I was leaking oil till right before I left for your place. The truck is working good, no pulling or any other problems. The only thing I have to do is adjust the draglink to make the wheel straight, and reconnect one of the drivers side shocks. Beyond that everything is working well. Thanks for the frontend.

That day was a good day. I got myself a new frontend with a locker and 4.56's, and after we left your place we came back to my house, and grilled up some steaks, drank a sixer each, and hung out in the pool for the rest of the afternoon.

8. Hossbaby50

I did put the gasket that was on the distributor back on before replacement. It was the type that is a thin gasket that is about a 1/4" wide. I will try and degrease the motor and figure out where it is all coming from. Thanks alot all for your help.

Harley

9. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

Maybe you want to check the little "thingy" that measures the oil pressure, I think it's a little bit behind and to the right of the distributor. Mine was leaking and it took me like a week and 2 engine washes to figure it out. Then again, if that would be it the oil would probably drip more on the driver side.

10. foxman

foxman 1/2 ton status

Another possibility is the rear intake gasket this is more common for engines which have been rebuilt with milling gonw where metal is taken away from the surface of the head/cylinder lock requiring a thicker gasket to do the job. As engines get older they develop more gas preasure due to pcv valve misfunctions / blowby and other causes. THE WEAKEST point in that top end of yours is going to be the gasket in the back of the intake just a thought.

11. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

If you replace the intake NEVER use the rubber gasket on the front and rear, always silly-cone. The gaskets are junk, even the best ones.

John