Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

leaking powersteering pump

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hunterguy86, Sep 12, 2005.

1. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

On my 86 k5 305/700r4/np208 the power steering pump is leaking. I checked to see if it was a hose but it seems to be from the pump itself. The question is should i just go buy a new pump or can i rebuild the one i have. Anybody rebuilt yours? how hard was it?

Thanks,

Dustin

2. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

for the price I'd wouldn't mess with a repair just buy new!

3. hunterguy86

is there anything involved in replacing it or is it as straight forward as take off old one and put on new one? Do i have to bleed the pump or anything? I know i need to replace the hoses while I'm doing it. How about the steering box, anything need to be done here?

Thanks,

Dustin

4. Geargrinder

Geargrinder 1/2 ton status

I have never bled one and haven't had any problems. It's as eazy as it looks, just pull the lines and unbolt it and put the new one on. It's not a bad idea to replace the lines while your'e at it, but I'm cheeeeep so I never do untill I can see one leaking :rolleyes: I do however use air to blow all the old fluid that I can out of the steering box when I do it, don't know if it helps at all but it makes me feel better :p:

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have replaced the seals and used that "stop leak" crap from Lucas oil. It still leaks. i have just decided that it does not leak nearl as bad as before, so i just live with it. I am going to replace it one day. I see no need to try and fix it any more.

6. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, the pump replacement is real easy. I would recommend getting the whole unit, maybe an upgrade to a high flow and a cooler if your up for it. Wont find an easier time than now.

One problem you might find, is that most of the pumps you will buy do not have the pulley on them. You need to use your old one. You need a special puller for them (the crescent moon kind) to remove and install them. I got one from Lisle. They have them at most part stores for ~$30, or you can rent them from Autozone or something.

Good luck...

EDIT: To bleed the pump after installation, turn the wheel slowly lock to lock several times. That will purge any trapped air in there.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2005
  7. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Throw about a cap full of brake fluid in there, if it's not a horrible leak, this will buy you some time,,,heck mines been going now for tha past year with this little move. :D

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've used the stop leak stuff, and it worked on my PS pump.

For the cost/effort, I think it's worth a try. It's not like you are out a ton of money if it doesn't work.

FWIW, mine was leaking out the front, from behind the pulley. Not streaming, but everything was continually wet.

9. hunterguy86

I've tried the lucas oil stop leak stuff and it worked until i went muddin the next time then it started leakin again so i'm thinkin a replacement is in order.
    Where can i find info on a good high flow unit or would a stock replacement be fine
    Would a cooler be applicable for my situation? I only plan to run 35s because im running 1/2 ton stuff and front 60 isnt in the budget. If a cooler is applicable what would be involved in the cooler?

10. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

PSC makes upgrades for our style vehicles. Many people use them with great results. Steve from ORD can get you a good price on them. A cooler is not necessary, just some cheap insurance that will probably make the pump and gear box last a bit longer. You can just use a cheap tranny cooler for them. I got one frorm imperial, the tube/fin design. But its up to you if u want the cooler, just more work and something to possibly break.

EDIT: www.offroaddesign.com

Last edited: Sep 13, 2005
  11. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

If it leaks, let it be, after a while, it will stop by itself. Cant leak if it is dry ;)