Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Leaking Rear end???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by broncoman6524, Jul 16, 2006.

1. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

I changed my rear diff fluid, outer seals and bearing. This was about 2-3 weeks ago. Yesterday i noticed that there was a pool of fresh oil under the diff. So i tightened all the bolts sprayed it w/brake cleaner wiped it off and left it. It is still leaking.

Could i have blown the gasket? i used a paper gasket from advance w/o any silicone.

thnx

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

pull the cover and just use silicone. When I do use paper gasket(only have like once, I lightly coat it in silicone. I hate paper gaskets. You can get rubber reusable gaskets, there has been a company going around offering them lately, forget what the name is though.

3. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

RTV all the way. I never use gaskets for diffs

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I always use a paper gasket, but usually only coat the side that attaches to the cover with a light coating of RTV. Never had a problem with leaking, same with valv covers and trans pans.:D

5. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

I NEVER use silicone on a paper gasket. Your just asking for the gasket to slowly squeeze itself out over time. Learned this the hard way. Its either paper or silicone but not the two together.

You didnt mention where the leak was coming from. Did you check the pinion seal?

6. broncoman6524

its coming from the bottom right of the cover (your looking at it from the back of the truck) You can spray it clean, wipe it, and with enough patience watch it begin to drip again from the same spot.

7. 88Silverado

Remove it, clean it, put a bead of clear silicone around it, be done with it :)
    Dont over torque the bolts.

8. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I don't understand what the problem is. A tube of RTV and a few quarts of gear oil cost next to nothing.......:dunno:

Pull the focker off and put some love into cleaning the faces. Get yourself some black RTV and apply it in a nice thick bead on the cover, making sure to circle the bolt holes. Let the cover sit for ten minutes, and then slap it back on the diff. Install the bolts in an opposing pattern. DO NOT over tighten the bolts- they only need to be 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn tighter than hand tight. Any tighter and you'll be squeezing all the RTV out.

9. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

:doah:

Beat me to it!!!!!

10. 88Silverado

Yea...What he said :deal: :D

11. broncoman6524

how long should i wait before adding fluid? damn i feel realy stupid right now. lol My dads saying i should let it sit overnight then fill it.

12. 88Silverado

Man, dont feel stupid. Its part of the learning process. Its not a bad idea to wait overnite but its not necessary. It will still cure. The paper gaskets tend to seep and leak. If you use silicone with a paper gasket the gasket will eventually squeeze out between the silicone. Straight silicone works very well for sealing the rearend cover. Again, dont over tighten the bolts, just snug them down.