Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Leaking rear main

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 88K5Rhododendron, Mar 16, 2001.

1. 88K5Rhododendron

88K5Rhododendron Registered Member

OK, I am trying to buy a 76 Chevy 1/2 ton, the one I have found is in perfect condition, and I want it incredibly badly, but he says the rear main leaks (Tranny riight??) the truck has 150k on it and my fear is that the second I get it I am going to be rebuilding a transmission, (350/350) any suggestions? I already have the certified check for 3500!!

HELP!

Thanks amigos!

gasoline4life! Or rocket fuel... I could see my blazer with some rockets on it... :)

2. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

the rear main is the very last journal on the crankshaft,,closest to the tranny,,if it is a two piece seal it is fairly easy to install,,if it is a one piece seal,,you will need to loosen up all the main journal's enough to get the seal out and the new one installed,,actually,,,you need to take off all the main cap's and drop the crank,,but you can leave the rod journal's still hooked up,,hope this help's,,,ps,,,if the seal is leaking i would try to deal a little on the price,,that seem's kinda steep to me,,,it should be in excelent condition for a price like that,,just my $.02

ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. 88K5Rhododendron

88K5Rhododendron Registered Member

It is Very nice actually, it has a 203 transfer case with the part time kit, the tranny has a shift kit and it does really nicely. It has been lifted 6 inches and has 35" mt's on it with like 75% tread. Nice interior, with a cd player and nice speakers and what not. The body has 2 dents, very minor, and absolutely not rust! It has had the bedliner in since probably day 1 and underneith it no rust that I could find. The 350 has a q-jet and has been bored over and cam'd... so it is very cherry! But I was just worried about that rear main, he said he puts about 1/2 quart of t-fluid in about every couple months....

gasoline4life! Or rocket fuel... I could see my blazer with some rockets on it... :)

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

"Rear main leaks" and "he puts about 1/2 of t-fluid in every couple months" does not fit. Like k5king said, the rear main seal is the seal that keeps oil from leaking out of the engine where the crank comes out to meet the fly wheel. If he is putting trans fluid in, then the tranny front pump seal or the tail shaft seal is more likely the problem. You put oil in the engine when a rear main leaks, you put trans fluid in the train when a tranny seal leaks. Both tranny seals are a pain on a 4WD but not nearly as bad as the rear main seal. Look underneath for wet stuff. If it is at the tail shaft, you need a tail shaft seal. Between the engine and tranny, it could be main or pump. You’ll have to look closely and try to figure out if it is t-fluid or engine oil. If you can’t tell, you can drop the inspection plate (covers converter and flywheel) and it should be very obvious then.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56
    Coming soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

5. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Its a 76 adn has no rust? Yeah right!!! GM has never been on top of the game when it comes to corrsion prevention. Either someone has spent a lot of time fixing the rust or covering it up. You need to climb up inder the truck adn inspect from the underside and also look up behind the fender wells as good as you can. Take a refrigerator magnet with you and find all the places where it wont stick. One of those NFL team magnets works too. Trust me. The 70's Chevys were the worst.

Will work for beer, parts and tools.
    90 Jimmy 350TBI-700R4-241-33" BFGs-10 bolts w/4.10's
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</A>

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status