Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

leaking steering box question

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Max, Jan 15, 2002.

1. Max

Max 1/2 ton status

Howdy all and thanx in advance for any replies,
    I have a 71 Jimmy with power steering and my steering box has started to leak. Is there a kit that can be used to replace the seal and how difficult of a job is this?? If there isn't, any suggestions on what to replace it with? Special brands or types or just something from advance?? Running 35 inch tires which adds some stress to it. The leak is not from where the hydraulic lines hook in.

2. POFF

POFF 1/2 ton status

If it leaks from the adjusting screw plate it's just a gasket. If it's the input shaft seal it's easy. I got the oil seal, felt, dust seal and snap-ring from a local steering box re-builder for $10 (GM may have them). Just pull the coupler (you'll probably find you need a new one like I did), remove the snap ring, the dust seal should come out with a seal pick. Then drill two small holes in the seal 180 degrees apart. Screw a small sheet metal screw in to each hole (larger heads work better), use two screw drivers to pry the seal out. Use a deep socket to TAP the new seal in, it should go in pretty easily. Installation is the reverse of disassembly. Use a drain pan, power steering fluid (ATF) will leak out. If you need a new coupler they discontinued the one for our trucks (suprise) ask for GM#7828871 (from a '76 Blazer, same on trucks). You have to fabricate a horn ground wire. I've never done an output shaft seal but it should be similar to the input seal.

'70 K-20 San Diego, CA
    I know, I can't spell!

3. Wraparound

Wraparound Registered Member

I just bought a kit from Napa Auto Parts for 14 bucks. I'm going to try and install it today.

4. Max

Max 1/2 ton status

Please let me know how it goes and any caveats to watch out for when i do it. Thanx

5. POFF

POFF 1/2 ton status

The guy at the place I got my parts from said if you take the big nut off of the end be really careful not to sheer some sort of pin off of the valve or valving assembly. (I didn't take the nut off so I can't elaborate)

'70 K-20 San Diego, CA
    I know, I can't spell!

6. Wraparound

Wraparound Registered Member

I fixed the pitman arm seal. Turns out the old seal had popped out and I simply drove it back in and made sure the clip snapped into place. Easy fix. No new parts needed.