Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Leaking Steering Box

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by trag, Dec 2, 2002.

1. trag

trag Registered Member

I put a body lift on my 89 Blazer and I was screwing around with taking the steering shaft off and I guess that I did something to the steering box, because now it is leaking fluid at the end where it attaches to the steering shaft. Does anybody know what I might have done to it? Is it just a seal that I need to replace? Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

its an 89. 13 years old. i am sure it has the stock steering box in it. time for a new box. or send it off to WTO and buy a hydraulic sttering assisted system...
    if you aare into that stuff anyway.
    you can find a box on here for a good price or buy a new one. i recomend a new one personaly. or WTO.
    Grant

3. TheLakeRat

TheLakeRat 1/2 ton status

I can send you a seal if you want one.Or i'll be glad to build you a new one.

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

$3.50 or so at autozone.
    Pull the box and set it on the bench on it's side. Pull Retaining clip.
    Drill to holes 180 out from each other into the seal on it's side so the shavings fall away. Be VERY carefull not to nick the shaft or the housing or you WILL have a perment leak. Take an awl and pry it out.
    Little brake clean to rinse out any shavings. Grease on the shaft and seal lip to make sure it has a little lubrication. Drive in new seal with a deep well socket.

5. trag

trag Registered Member

Thanks guys

6. Lazydog

Lazydog 1/2 ton status

Is that where the Steering box usually leak from? The Box in my 1978 Jimmy leaks as well. If it's that easy to fix maybe I ought try it.

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

That our the out put end. Output is even easier to replace but MESSY!!!!!!!!!!!!.
    Leave the steering arm on. Drive the left front wheel into a childs swimming pool. shut it down. with the steering arm still attached to the box take the c-clip out. Fire it up and give it full left crank real fast. Shut it down. Get a mop for all the power steering fluid in the pool /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Note the order of the seals. There are two with a spacer. Take the arm off and install the new seals. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif