Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Leaking steering box

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazer79, Dec 2, 2000.

1. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I thought I had a leak where the hose connects to the power steering pump. Today I get under the Blazer and discover that the leak is actually where the steering box connects to the shaft that goes to the steering wheel and not in the pump at all. Is this a simple job requiring only dissasembly, replacement of a gasket and reassembly? Or is there anything tricky involved? Also, what kind of seal will I find inside? Is that an easy to find part?

Thanks.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i would like to know this also as mine is also leaking from the same spot

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

3. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

My 84K5 is having the same problem, anybody know the answer?

If it ain't a Chevy, don't raise it up!

4. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Mine is leaking too. I haven't lloked real close yet. But it appears from a peak to be coming from the supply line, (high pressure line). But it could be the same as yours. Look like we are starting to uncover a conspiracy by GM! lol

Don't you buy no ugly truck!
    http://"mccordhouse.freeservers.com"

5. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

Because of this post, I looked at my steering box today. You guessed it. Mine is leaking too. It's not a bad leak. The box is covered with oily dirt and the surrounding area is relatively clean. I didn't get into it yet, but when I find a cause and cure, I'll post it.

'89 K5 Silverado 4" lift w/BFG 33's

6. stimpy

stimpy Registered Member

Looks like we're all in the same boat, I've got the same problem. I asked the same question a few weeks ago and some told me that it would be easier just to replace the box with a rebuilt one. I don't know if this is true or not hopefully somebody will help us all out.

Todd Miller

love my blazer, and 43 Dodge Carryall
    IF IT'S SNOWING AND IT'S DEEP. I'LL BE OUT IN IT!!!!!!

7. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

My '87 leaks too. Steering box for sure. I'm not complaining...225,000+ miles...and it still purrs.

SteveB

8. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

I suggested to just replace it with a rebuild. The reason is that you will already have the box off to replace the seal that is leaking(I've heard you can do it on the truck, I think it's easier on the bench). If one seal is leaking, the others are soon to follow. Just do it right the first time or in a month, two months, six months, or a year down the road, you'll be doing it again for another seal.Just my $.02.

blazen91
    Protect the land FOR the people
    <font color=red>Not FROM the people</font color=red>

9. rezalb

rezalb 1/2 ton status

I have seven steering boxes for sale in anybody needs them.
    NO JUST KIDDING.....

rezalB

Built for a purpose.

10. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Hey, I just found two "Steering Gear Seal Kits" on http://www.Carparts.com. One is manufactured by Omega for $22.71 and the other one by Gates for $26.52. I guess one of these is what we need. What do you think?

On the other hand, they also have a Remanufactured Steering Gear by Cardone for $205.52+125.00 core. Now that's something I wasn't to spend money on. [​IMG]

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

11. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

damn i think i will spend the 22.71 or 26.52 i can think of better things 4 my k5 to spend 330.52 on lol i didn't think they would be that much thanks 4 the info

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

12. Cusm

Cusm 1/2 ton status

I just replace mine this weekend. My philosophy was the same as Blazin91, it is a 20y/o part might as well just replace it. I found it at O'Reiley's (I do not know how big this chain is) for $154 +$150 core, just took in my old one first to avoid paying core, WITH a lifetime warranty.
    Now my question, my steering seems a lot harder than before, is this because of the new box or could there be a another problem somewhere else(ie power steering pump)?

13. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

Cusm, there is an adjustment on the top of the box. My '89 uses an allen wrench for the center and there is a nut that locks it in place. Try loosening the nut (box end wrench works best), then back off the adjustment about 1/10th of a turn counter clockwise and re-tighten the nut. This might take the tightness out of your steering. It's not the only possible cause but it's worth checking. (Tip: put the allen wrench in before loosening the nut in case they both move together. )
    I posted earlier in this thread that my steering box leaked. The adjustment hold down nut was loose on mine so I tightened it and cleaned all the oil off the box. It's been about a month and there is no sign of further leaks, so that cured mine.

'89 K5 Silverado 4" lift w/BFG 33's

14. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

It is possible that your new steering box has different valving than the original. Is the replacement an exact replacement for your part # or is a generic one for many Chevy trucks? Millions of those things were made with probably hundreds of different torsion bars in the valves. If your torsion bar is different, it is just always going to be lighter or stiffer than it was before. If that is your problem, you need a different box or a different valve (or torsion bar), which I don't believe are available to the public. Otherwise, you would have to increase the line pressure with a different pump in order to lighten the steering back up.

If there is air in the line, you will get noise or erratic steering assist. It is also possible that you have some dirt or a metal particle somewhere that is causing a restriction. You may want to bleed out the system and make sure that it is all new clean fluid in there.

<font color=blue>Powered by a Goodwrench 4-bolt longblock [​IMG]
    240hp...for now.</font color=blue>